PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I've been buying and smoking Chris Morgan's Bones pipes for about a year now, and I think they're among the best low-cost options for a briar. They have consistently good drilling, and I really enjoy the aesthetic, esp. watching them color over time.
Now don't get me wrong-- these are no substitute for a higher-end pipe, particularly in regards to the stem work, but for truck pipes, hiking pipes, etc. they've become my go-to, and I vastly prefer them to cobs. Any other fans on here?
And now for a few pics:
Here's an unsmoked one vs. one I've been using for about a year now.

img_5366-600x450.jpg

img_5364-600x450.jpg

And lastly a little sitter finished by the Dagners. I bought this off a member here about 10 months ago.

image2-2-600x450.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have a Bones for my Wiebe Radiator that is coloring very nicely. I just pulled the trigger on a Short Apple Bones......time will tell.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I love my Bones! I was in search for a virgin briar but it’s surprising how few are out there and the ones that are demand a lot of money. I remembered seeing Bones Pipes in the past but I had no idea how budget friendly they were. After I bought a Bones Dublin, I smoked it once and immediately turned around and bought a billiard. I love what he’s doing with this line and you cannot get a better pipe for the price! I also love to watch them color. Great picks above! I’ll try to post mine later when I get the time.

Reactions: bnichols23

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Here are the two I have. I love your bulldog, I said had no desire to add anymore pipes but I could definitely add one of those. They weren’t available when I made my purchases.
lpfF7D8.jpg

Cyful3R.jpg

y2KAyi2.jpg

YRg4oQ4.jpg

Each pipe cost me $45 shipped! Outstanding!

Reactions: radrick96

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
That's another kind of fun aspect to buying Boneses. The shapes change pretty regularly, but at the price point, it's not prohibitive to buy a new shape you fancy. I'd looooove to have a Belge, but I missed the boat on that shape.

• Sad

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I just now looked, he’s got a whole lot of shapes available that he didn’t have at the time I purchased mine but I’m a totally happy customer either way.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
Hawkeye, I remember seeing a few virgin grain Nordings when I was recently looking through their selection on smokingpipes. Price point was a bit higher if I remember correctly, in the $60-$70 USD range. But if you’re happy with the Bones I don’t see any reason to switch!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I only have the one myself, but if it's representative of them I'd buy another in half a heartbeat. A fill & a couple of small pits, but in return a heck of a knockaround pipe that I don't have any worries about. Great little apple that I came across by sheer dumb luck!
Bill

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
homestsea, yeah, I have a Nording Signature that’s colored really nicely over the years but I looking for a sandblasted virgin pipe in a more traditional shape. I found a few Radice and Castello that fit the bill but I wasn’t looking to spend that much money, however both those brands make some stellar pipes. But $45 shipped, that’s just stupid cheap. I love that he fits a delrin tenon on all of his pipes as well.
My Dublin has absolutely no flaws, superficial or otherwise. The billiard has a pit but it’s just superficial and that’s the whole point of this line so I embrace it. Bill, I’m surprised to hear yours has a fill? It was my understanding that Bones doesn’t do fills.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Could just be a smudge on the bowl, or something that got on it, who knows? It's very small. According to the seller its initial owner returned it because the bowl was a little too small. It was still unsmoked when I got it. I think I paid $30 or so on eBay for it. Heck of a deal I figured.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice looking pipes, rough and ready, no anxieties about losing them, which makes them less prone to be lost. I have really enjoyed unfinished pipes, Sav's in my case mostly, except for a Peterson recently purchased.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
MSO, I have an unfinished Savinelli second, which is a good smoker, but I prefer my Bones. For one thing, the Sav has a very large fill on the front of the bowl (none of my Boneses have fills), and I prefer acrylic stems to vulcanite. Both great no-frills options, but I'd pick a Bones.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
I have only one unfinished pipe, a Savinelli Ghibli and the colouring over time is indeed very nice. It is something like with meers.

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
I have a Belge and a Dublin and find them both most satisfactory for what they are. Great to travel with.

Status
Not open for further replies.