I'm looking for a pipe with a big bowl. Any ideas?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cigarchest

Lurker
Aug 10, 2014
As the topic says, I'm in search of a pipe with a big bowl for weekend campfires and what not. A pipe that will last an hour or two... A pipe to rule the night. lol. Any Ideas guys? I've been searching for a while now and I'm close to throwing in the towel.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
In my experience, most pipes will last an hour if loaded to the top of the bowl. I just finished my lunch pipe, which was a Stanwell Featherweight, which is a bit smaller than a standard pipe bowl ( which brings up a good point, how are bowls classified, I've heard people saying Group 1 through group 4, but I don't know what that means) and it lasted right at an hour, with some tobacco that I had to dump out. Woot 100 posts! :puffy:

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I will say this I bought a nording Churchwarden that had a big bowl and I have found that when fully load it does not smoke as good. It has more moisture and a different type of draw. I have come to the conclusion that the best way to get a good smoke that last two hours is to load a normal size bowl twice. However I am still going to buy one of those nording giant freehands just cause they are awesome.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife gave me an extra large Johs apple that has a major sized bowl, but it's not typical of his pipes, size-wise.

Just make sure you buy from someone or a site that gives a careful description and measurements if you go with

Johs. Savenelli makes some admirable, unfiltered extra large pipes that seem to be mostly black sandblasts.

Dr. Grabow makes Big Pipe, if you are into U.S. machine made working man's pipes. There are plenty of other

extra large pipes available; I'd stick with known brands to get something that smokes well.

Jun 4, 2014
I have a Savinelli Baronet Bruyere in a prince shape, it has a very large bowl. The entire Baronet Bruyere line is large pipes.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
For cobs, the Country Gentleman has a nice large barrel-shaped bowl.
It can provide a 2 hour smoke and is cost effective for campfire smoking.

Jan 8, 2013
My Nording Signature has a very wide and very deep conical chamber. The largest of all my pipes. For the price, you can't beat it. If you want something that holds an ounce of tobacco (slight exaggeration) it's definitely something to look into.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
This big honker should do the trick. First cousin to the Baronets and way less expensive. Available as a smooth also.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=149368

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Look for a Savory Bent, or Edwards, you can find large ones without breaking the Bank. A little higher on the cost scale is Ardor, Winslow, or Ben Wade. I have a Large Bent Savory that I smoke when cutting grass, takes 2 hrs and it almost lasts for the whole cut. On big tractor I smoke a large Edwards bent. Lots of good deals out there, Charentan, hope I spelt that right has some pipes they call special, big and good smokers

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I have a Savinelli Baronet Bruyere in a prince shape, it has a very large bowl. The entire Baronet Bruyere line is large pipes.

I think that line has been discontinued and replace with the Hercules line. If you looking for standard shapes than these are the ones. No filter also.

Aug 14, 2012
I have a near new L'Anatra with smooth natural finish bowl. If you are interested I will do some pictures. I am sure it will last over an hour if you smoke at moderate speed. Bowl size would be about a Dunhill 8 (no such thing as a Dun. 8).

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
One of my other threads, there is a picture of my custom made Adjudicator by Arcangelo Ambrosi. He can whip up a tall smoker for a great price and pretty quickly at that. Or the cheap route, a Missouri Meerschaum MacArthur will keep you puffing a while. Of course there are all the other options mentioned so far, and sone of those old Lorenzo oom pauls can be acquired for a decent price. I am a fan of the old Lorenzos, so I'm a little biased.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Mr. Brogg has BIG pearwood pipes for less than $50. And there are the very well regarded Boswells, which I'm suprised haven't yet been mentioned, unless I missed it as I scanned through the thread.http://www.boswellpipes.com/pipesforsale.html

Status
Not open for further replies.