PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Not on smoking!!! Oh hell no!!! I just have two pipes(petersons of course) that I think I'm going to give up on. The one is a Shannon and has never smoked good no matter what tobacco or how I pack it or how I draw on it. The tobaccos all start to taste the same in it and it gurgles no matter how dry it is. The other is a real beaut of a pipe a little 313 system pipe. It burns red hot out of the gate and never cools down. I've never had to set a pipe down as often as I have to this one even on a cold day like today. Plus I can barely taste the tobacco because every thing tastes like pepper and not a good pepper. I guess I'll bench em in favor of really old pipes that smoke great.

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
Sounds like ghosting(cake/remains from previous smokes), in addition to goop. The pepper taste I'm assuming is coming from Perique, and/or maybe some English blends. I could be wrong though.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
You just send em along to me mate. I'll fix em up and smoke em. Remove the finish down to wood and several coats of Extra Virgin Olive Oil only. Drill the draught hole out a bit wider and I will have a great smoker.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
It's the same feeling on my toungue no matter if it has Perique or not. Maybe it just needs a total cleaning and start over again. I have no problem with Perique or any other tobacco. I like them all!!! :P I don't know but I'm not going to waste valuble time cussin a pipe that isn't even a 4th stringer.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
My Pete 305 standard system required many smokes until it stopped smoking hot (developed a thick enough cake). The break-in time for that pipe was very long compared to any other pipe, it is an excellent smoker now though!

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I have a Peterson Shannon Bent Bulldog that still smokes wet. It is my first pipe that has a known maker. So it's a few years old. I like the way it sits in my teeth so it stays in my rotation. I have found that if I let the tobacco dry out more than I normally do it is a bit drier smoke.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
LoL feel free to send any unwanted pipes to me in NZ i will do em up no worries and add em into my rotation... will even swap u some baccy if you like lol ... have u tried chaning them at all tho? seems to me rthat if your just gonna get rid of em or bin em it would not hurt to try change em on the chance that they come right...you were gonna get rid of em anway so even if u stuff up its no loss...

Status
Not open for further replies.