PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

garywwhite

Lurker
May 5, 2019
For whatever reason I am drawn to Italian pipe makers and up until 2 years ago when I quit the hobby I had quite a selection of some high end briars from well known makers. I sold my collection to Smokingpipes.com and now feel like I got a little ripped off for what they paid me. But hey, at that time I thought I was done with the hobby. I just recently took up piping again and found a beautiful IL Duca Barone Morta on E-Bay that probably had been smoked maybe once. It was a DDD stamped pipe and I couldn't pass up the price. The pipe smokes superbly and I'm probably going to start buying more Italian pipes. Out of my initial collection I kept a moderately priced Luciano and my son has sent back to me 4 pipes I had when I was in my mid 20's which was 45 years ago. I know one is a Stanwell but can't make out the other makers although I know I paid good money back in the mid 70's for those pipes. I am having Briarville do the restoration on those pipes and having him fit a new stem on the Luciano that I dropped. There is just something magical about pipes and especially those from Italy.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They make pipes in Italy?
20180903_225500.jpg

Edit: That pic really needs updating.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I didn't know you liked Savinellis, Embers! [grin, duck, & run like blazes]
Welcome, Gary! Yeah, me too. I love my Danishes & GBDs, Comoy'ss [sic], BBBs, Barlings, et al., but if I didn't have my Savinellis, Brebbias, Lorenzos, or Armellinis (counting of course the Veronas he made for Tinder Box), I'd be a very incomplete piper.
One of my favorites is an Iwan Reis house pipe made by Lorenzo. It's a massive black rusticated billiard with a bowl that'll give me 2 hours on a good day. I did say it was massive. }:) My Sav Autograph it's not, but I love it just as much. :)
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Italy not only holds a remarkably large share of the pipe market, but it does so with an alarmingly large number of both factory and artisan carving shops, from big corporate factory producers to some of the great international name carvers. The tobacco pipe industry isn't what it once was, but Italy, France, Denmark, among others, still play a major role in the market. The U.S. still has going factories and many fine carvers, but it has really retrenched in the last thirty years with factory pipes, as major names have disappeared. Ireland and Japan are definite pipe makers, but depend a lot on one brand each for world visibility, and Peterson is now owned from the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.