PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I'm sorry to report that the IM Corona flints haven't improved the situation. I'll be sending in for repair and a tune-up.
The strangest aspect of it is that on refilling a 100% empty and bled lighter, it fills virtually instantly. I'm sure it's full because it'll burn for 30 minutes afterwards. Something's not right. It should take at least a few seconds.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Interesting thought about the flint tube, but it is clear. The spark wheel is quite clean. It seems like there’s sufficient spark, yet it only lights maybe 20% of the time. Although it burns fairly well once lit, I’m guessing that there’s something wrong with the gas delivery too.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Thanks everyone. Arango returned the lighter to me today, three weeks earlier than promised. There was a sheet of standard lined notebook paper enclosed which had a handwritten list of everything that was replaced (so much cooler than a computerized list, IMHO):
Fill Valve

Tank filters

Flame Control Stem & Screw

Burner Valve Rubber Packing + o-ring + screw + spring

Flint wheel

Lid

Cap Spring + Axis

Cap Axis

Rubber ring 18x16x1
Sounds like they completely refurbished it for me and it works like NEW! The spark is WAY better than before, by the way. The lighter came empty, of course. I'm sure it's a USPS regulation. Refilling it was now like I have experienced with every other lighter I've owned. No leaking fuel and it took several seconds to fill.
All in all, $35 seems like a pretty fair price. Thanks Arango!

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I have an Old Boy. Not bad, but I have to admit, I wouldn't have wasted my time with that. I'm glad it worked out for you though.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Yeah I'm about to send my IM corona in for repair. This will be the 2nd time (in 3 years) I'd had to have it service for the same problem your describing. It's the same lighter from this review: http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-lighters-accessories/vintage-styling-and-quality-continued-the-im-corona-old-boy/

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've had an IM Corona lighter for two years and nary a problem. Just got another one, and it's a beauty. Also have a couple of Kiribi Kabutos, a Xicar and some Fauxponts. All work fine. Just don't drop the "DuPont tribute" on your foot!
This thread has lots of good tips on use and maintenance, as well as a link to James' review, just above.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I now have seacaptain's old Old Boy. I've had it for a year and it works very well.
I've found that it lights less reliably when the flint is getting short, so I change it before it's completely gone. Bleed it out and give a good detail cleaning at each flint replacement and no problems, so far.
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.