PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseV

Lurker
Sep 28, 2019
Hello everyone! I had my Old Boy in storage with my pipes and tobacco for a few years now and I just started using it again this morning. I tried to adjust the flame control dial to make a longer flame but I don’t notice a difference when adjusting it. Have any of you experienced this issue?

I took the dial (is that what it’s called?) all the way off and made sure there wasn’t anything interfering. I didn’t see anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bleed it, clean the flame port, and fill with high quality butane.

Personally I hate the things. I dropped one the day that I bought it and it never worked again.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Damn! I hate Mercedes Benz!! They don't work worth shit! I ran mine into a tree driving out of the dealer's lot, and it don't run at all.

But I've had fine experience with IM Corona, Kiribi, Dunhill, DuPont, and faux Dupont lighters, about ten in total. All work.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I sold my Old Boy years ago to cigrmaster. I only liked the lighter for the idea that I had a $120.00 lighter. Other than that it rarely worked. It took me 12 strikes to get it to light, and that was when it was brand new. Even my Zippo can be finicky at times. My Bic only takes one time to light.... :rolleyes:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I sold my Old Boy years ago to cigrmaster. I only liked the lighter for the idea that I had a $120.00 lighter. Other than that it rarely worked. It took me 12 strikes to get it to light, and that was when it was brand new. Even my Zippo can be finicky at times. My Bic only takes one time to light.... :rolleyes:
Well, if you had perfected your cadence and packing, you would have had better results! a puf

Seriously though, if the flame setting is too high or too low, no butane will light right away.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Well, if you had perfected your cadence and packing, you would have had better results! a puf

Seriously though, if the flame setting is too high or too low, no butane will light right away.
Psh I have great cadence! Like a fire breathing dragon! Hehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.