PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
In the winter, I bought a new kaywoodie elegante pipe. I posted on an earlier thread that it had staining issues. I contacted the manufacturer, it was restained at the factory but still deposits stain on my hands. I appreciate them making good on the customer needs but the pipe honestly hates me. Smokes great but leaves coloring on me and my jeans. It was told to me pipe polishes can cause this if the polish contain petroleum by products in it. I never even had time to polish it this time. Pardon my rant. Had to tell folks that would understand my annoyance.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
No problem Dave. I'm not angry with kaywoodie just mad at my luck. I've got several of their pieces it's just I ended up with this lemon.

rogers

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 9, 2012
I've owned a couple smooth Joh's that had the same problem, no problems with the sandblasted models though.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I had a red stained Peterson that did the same thing. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I wrote customer service at kaywoodie again cause that model is pretty popular as a mid-grade in their range. As for me, I have others but what about the brother who has only one pipe or 2.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I have a Brigham that used to suffer from the same malady; I tossed her into a bucket of isopropyl (99%) overnight with the intention of stripping and restaining her, but found that the alcohol soak both removed the excess stain, and seemed to set the colour nicely. YMMV, but it worked for me - and at worst, you've got a nice "natural" finish.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
THROW IT INTO A VAT OF ALCOHOL AND LIGHT IT ON FIRE!
And record it... that'd be kinda cool to see. Then you reach into the bowl with tongs and out emerges the FLAMING PIPE!
:rofl:

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
Ive had similar pipes and after a couple of waxings it stops.(Rennasiaance wax or similar product)

Status
Not open for further replies.