PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
If you had to retire, what would you smoke if you had a limited income and celler? Would it be OTCs, or inexpensive blends from an e-tailer?

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I would pray that I could afford something on the level of Old Gowrie in 500 gram bags. Around $65 for 500 grams as I recall.

I would get two for free shipping.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I could afford to retire tomorrow so long as I die by next friday. Chances are that if I ever do retire my cellar will be quite full by then.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I'd smoke my own homegrown. There's an old saying that goes: Give a man a pouch of tobacco and he smokes for a day. Teach a man how to grow tobacco and he smokes forever.... ( yeah I know, I ripped that saying off from the fish version.. :wink:)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nearing 200 pounds in my cellar, so I don't think it's going to be an issue. :puffy:

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I retired 04/30/2016 and I have over 200 pounds in the cellar. Now with the new PA taxes per ounce my buying has slowed to a virtual craw. I got enough and no problems here.
I have around 40 pipes and half are cobs. Good thing PAD is not an issue with me.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I would buy the top 5 or 6 blends that I prefer and smoke those elusively and stop throwing money at trying new stuff.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Favorite bulk blends, especially bought on sale, would be part of the answer. Tub tobaccos that you really like are another, again especially if bought on sale. PC's Midtown series are good ones if they remain on the market. Some bagged tobacco is better than you'd think, especially if you mix it with other tobaccos for flavoring, to stretch the supply. Moderate smoking helps tremendously, if you can do that, and upgrades the blends you can smoke. Flake, plug, coin and rope give better mileage than cut tobacco, especially thrifty if bought in bulk. Your favorite tinned blends can be treats, mixed in with less expensive blends. Growing your own is good, but can easily cost something once you exert the time, effort and materials. Stay on Forums and get amazing samples and occasionally whole tins! Astonishing sometimes.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
I retired 12 years ago heart attack. I smoke gourmet tobacco and occasionally one or two estate pipes a year. Buy discounts and sales i have more tobacco then I could consume wife knows about pipe stud. Have roughly 120 pipes 19 charatans Shel

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It would probably be OTC's for me? I wouldn't want the temptation of retailers and would prefer to just pick up a box/pouch of something every week at the grocery store. It would make it more enjoyable for me I think? I have a cellar of tobacco, but if/when it runs out prior to death I will put Carter Hall on my grocery list each week to pick up with my eggs, milk, and bread.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I'm asking because I was forced to retire the end of May 2016 due to major cardaic surgery.

I lost all of my savings paying Bills for my Dad before he passed and couldn't recover the loss. So now I have to live off Social security. I asked so I could figure it out.
Have a great afternoon and evening

John

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I am retired and have been for almost 8 yrs. I'm trying to get my daily blends down to 4 and that's where I'll stay for the rest of my days. I'll have 2 OTC blends and 2 blends from online dealers. I'll just buy when I get low on any of the 4 blends. Makes life more simple.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Lucky for me, I actually like two of the cheaper OTC's, so if I had to retire on a very limited income, I could still smoke something I genuinely enjoyed. Right at the moment, in fact, I have been smoking CH and PA 90% of the time, while Dunhill, Peterson, C&D, and many other blends gather dust in my cellar.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
John, I find the Peter Stokkebey bulk blends to be a pretty good value. I'm also retired and on a limited budget, so between the PS blends and my estate pipes I'm smoking cheap and happy.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Its only a matter of time till I am in your boat John, so i sympathize. I have been fortunate to buy a fairly decent amount of tobacco over the last 5 years to hedge against the day when it comes. But should I run low when the day comes, I would probably save enough to purchase 5 pounds worth of OJK/HGL or even Best of The Rest if it is still around...(PS: even now I have a couple of pounds of BOTR just for whenever)...

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I find the Peter Stokkebey bulk blends to be a pretty good value.
+1
Keep an eye out for sales and free shipping plus corn cob pipes offer a fine smoking experience for little money.

Status
Not open for further replies.