PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
John, I find the Peter Stokkebey bulk blends to be a pretty good value.
John ... knowing what you like to smoke, I'd say you would like the PS Cube Cut. Their LNF and LBF are also great for the price.
Also, C&D's bulks are hard to beat for us Burley tobacco lovers. (BNB, OJK, BBudd)
Don't forget Newminster #403 and #400 as well. (#403 especially)
Lastly, you can't beat the price of whole-leaf and it gives you all the control over your smoke.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Well based on what's currently in my cellar, and how much I smoke from week to week; I have enough tobacco to probably last me 8 years or more. After that I would just buy my favorite bulk blends. Lots of great tobacco's come in bulk options which are a great savings.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
In keeping with the spirit of a tiny tobacco budget,
Dirty secret here: I actually really enjoy Smokers Pride Vanilla. It is bigger cut, but tasty. I got a bag of it for walking the dog. It became a thing. If it came down to not smoking or smoking Smoker's Pride, I would keep smoking.
It runs $15.50 for 12 ounces. Good deal.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Couple years away for me. Our budgetary situation now is such that I buy only what I smoke-not cellar-and already tend toward minimizing tobacco expenditure. Do go thru about a pound per month. Have concerns in general regarding what the budget will look like when I do retire. When I want to retire and when I can afford to retire may be 2 different things. I'm 2 months away from 63 and would like to retire @ 65.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Thanks for your suggestions. Since I enjoy Burley non aro blends.thinking of the focusing on SWR(black), Grainger, the Mid Towns. Also cosidering the suggestions of whole leaf and blending my own.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
FYI ... P&C now has PS LNF, LBF and LTF in 1.5 lb boxes for $10 off. ($31.75 per pound!)

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
The wife let me order 2 boxes. This will last for a while. Now to get some cube cut, I'm about if it. Imo PS Cube Cut Has a fuller Burley flavor than some of the Edgeworth matches.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Retired for 2.5 years & have a decent cellar, which could last 20-25 years or longer.

Focusing on quality over quantity of tobacco & smoking sessions, preferring stronger, intense tobaccos, particularly ropes, plugs, & strong flakes, smoked in smaller bowls, less frequently.

Plan on 4-5 TAD purchases in 2017 to round out the cellar, then only small acquisitions of a few tins at a time afterwards. Also, will significantly thin the herd of pipes to several dozen favorites, including a bunch of cobs.

My discretionary ATF expenditures have dramatically declined in the past year, & will dwindle to a trickle after 2017, as dictated by budget constraints.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Since I enjoy Burley non aro blends

I've been in the boat you describe since May of 2013 due to health problems.

I started smoking again that Holiday season out of sheer desperation and distress, both physical and mental.

By April or May of 2014, I'd had the brilliant idea to get a cob at the drug store and smoke my cheap bagged RYO out of it, in order to eliminate paper.
I discovered the world of pipes and pipe tobacco soon thereafter and have engaged in 'the process' with wild abandon ever since.
Right now, my suggestion to you is that bulk blends of natural, quality tobacco are your best buys.

I've found that Daughters and Ryan bulks are probably the best buy in tobacco, but I wouldn't suggest that you deny yourself some experimentation with tobacco before you load up on stuff.
C&D has sent me some fantastic burleys in bags and D&R has some very inexpensive, yet quality tobacco blends with variety and complexity.
Learning your tastes and preferences is an ongoing journey that changes with the weather.

Retiring seems to be one of those benefits you get for working for someone else. Me, I told my kids to just push my corpse out of my chair and finish working on whatever I was working on. Working for yourself, you don't get these luxuries, unless I just want to stop working and start starving to death.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I'm not even close to retirement, but we choose to be a single income family so my wife can stay at home and raise our girls. I budget for my purchases of anything extra, tobacco included. It has meant that I don't impulse buy when I can help it, and that I miss some great sales because that particular budget line hasn't matured yet. However it usually means that I buy exactly what I want in some decent quantities. Also of relevance is the pace at which I consume tobacco. I only smoke 1-3 bowels a day, but mostly just 1 a day.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Het TexMex- Irrigating your bowels is one thing, but I don't recommend smoking them! Most of us get enough smoke blown up our ass at work. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.