If you could only buy one pipe for the next 5 years, what would it be?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Hello everyone! Wanted to start a fun thread based on a conversation I had with my wife the other day. First of all, I have to mention that she is not crazy about me smoking pipes for a hobby; as a nurse she can't truly embrace it due to potential health risks regardless of what I tell her. Anyways, we were having a discussion about pipes and I mentioned I would like to get another one soon. I have around 3 briars and a few cobs laying around. As I explained to her that I'd like to get one for each type of pipe tobacco, she made the remark that she'd be okay with me getting another pipe, but it'd have to be the last one I get for 5 years. Now whether she was kidding or not I don't really know, lol. BUT I thought it would make an interesting topic - if you could only buy one pipe and then have to wait 5 years before another purchase, what would it be and why?
On a side note, if she WAS serious then I have an intense decision to make, lol. My price limit would be around $200. Thoughts?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
In the $200 range, I'd probably try to find a nice artisan estate.

If it were me, I would probably spend a little more and have a pipe commissioned. Personally, I'd like to have a partially sandblasted Eskimo by Rad Davis, or an Askwith Morta Billiard or Dublin. Any of those would set you back more than $200, but hey, it's the last pipe for 5 years!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Ser Jacopo (on sale) or a Radice. Or, for two pipes, $200 for both, a Luciano and a Chocum.

Aug 1, 2012
If it were me, I'd commission a pipe by Ryan Alden (AKA lonestar on this forum). Failing that, I'd get a Tinsky or a nice estate like one of the artisan Kaywoodies at Mkelaw (one of our sponsors).

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
If I had only 3 briars and a few cobs, and couldn't buy another pipe in 5 years, I would buy a Meerschaum, which I could smoke more often without harming it.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My choices would not be so extravagant. I have a Rattray's Rough Root shape 60, which is about a group 3 size, light weight,has over a 1/4" thick walls completely around the bowl, and has a lucite stem and bit. The one I have takes a 9mm filter, and the 9mm charcoal filters are widely used in Germany. I wouldn't smoke a Virginia Blend w/o a filter, myself. I pick up more of the nuances of flavor that way. One can be had for about $130.00.

My other suggestion would be a Neerup. I have a Neerup Basic Brandy, sandblast, which again has a wonderfully thick bowl, yet is amazingly light for it's size. No filter though, so I use it for Latakia and VaPer blends.

They run from $100 to the Handmades in the $500.00 range.

Both are very nice pipes, and I think would be great values. Now if you had $500 bucks to spend...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are a couple of Neerups on Cup O Joes right now for $80, if anyone is interested. Seemed

like a good deal to me. I'm just not a big-bowl/slender-stem guy. But they're beautiful pipes.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
That's very arbitrary... and disappointing, lol! If I were to spend $200 on a pipe, I'd either get a new Radice or an estate Castello (may be hard to find under $200, but they are usually well under 3).
If I personally were limited to one more pipe for 5 years. It'd be expensive as hell. Definitely a new Castello or a Rad Davis.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
call Mark Tinsky and tell him your wife will only let you spend $200 for a pipe. Bet he would do you something nice.
these are few few blast from his site under $200

872.jpg
SB901.JPG
672.jpg

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
For me it would be simple: another Stanwell No. 11, my all-time favorite shape. Perhaps I would have one commissioned in Meerschaum.
[Make sure to tell your wife she cannot purchase something she enjoys for five years along with you ;) ]

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Lol I don't think she'd actually make me agree to anything like this. She's too big of a sweetheart. but I thought it'd be interesting to see what everyone else would do. I love hearing things from different perspectives.
I have just recently started looking into mark tinsky. I just love the darker blasts he does on his pipes. Perhaps I will try to get in touch with him soon. They are a bit pricey, but from what I've read in this forum, the quality justifies it.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
Nah it's not like that duder, she said it as a sarcastic joke/reply and I thought it would make an interesting thread :)
I'd rather have the focus directed toward the question itself (not what led to the question). Overall there's a lot of diversity in the responses!

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I'd buy a nice estate Comoy or GBD something or other and then spend the remaining $100 or so on whatever tobaccos I wanted to stash away for 5 years before smoking.

gentlemanjerry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
I would get me a nice Jake Hackert or a big J.M. Boswell pipe.........I really like them and presently have neither

- I think I could make either of them do!

Status
Not open for further replies.