If you could only buy one pipe for the next 5 years, what would it be?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of us on the Forum could get along easily and happily with the too-many pipes we already have.

If only the little devils weren't so beguiling. My local pipe shop owner asks me, see anything you like?

And I say, I'm looking for one I don't like.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I have plenty of pipes, really. I don't need another one, although I will most likely buy a few more before the end of the month. So, I'd take the cash and buy tobacco.
If my feet were held to the fire, though, I'd just get a Stanwell Vario in a 63 or 64.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I think I would like a Micah Cyder cherrywood, a little more than $200 but not much. If I were you I woud get a Neerup, probably some of the nicest pioes for the money.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Seriously, I would stash the money away for about a year and think. Keep looking at pipes and figure out what shapes and features you really like. Of all the pictures above, I only saw one pipe that really interests me. Unless it has a tapered stem, I am not tempted by it. I really don't enjoy most of my early pipes, since my tastes have firmed up. Don't go by what others like. But, if you find that you like most of the pipes that someone posts, then perhaps he might be able to give you advice.
Winton

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Just pulled the trigger on a matching pair of Eric Paulson sandblasted Devil Anse Cuttys. They will be my last pipe purchases for a while.

Aug 14, 2012
It would be a Dunhill 4303 amber root, in my opinion the perfect billiard. I have one of these and would welcome more. The problem is that it is a shape which is rarely available, and almost never in the amber root finish. the other problem is that I am unwilling to pay the current price of Dunhills. It has gone up dramatically in the last year or two, even at UK dealers. They have finally raised the prices to just a little more than the pipes are worth. So if cost is considered, I would be more inclined to get another L'Anatra.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
If I had to pull the trigger right now this minute, it would be a Tsuge - either the blowfish or the tankard with the brass-colored trim, as I've got another Steampunk Cruise coming up shortly, and could use a pipe with those aesthetics.
If I were given that ultimatum after the cruise, however, I'd have to seriously think about it. :D

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Seriously, I would stash the money away for about a year and think. Keep looking at pipes and figure out what shapes and features you really like.
This is how I do it. I never decide one day that I'm going to buy a pipe. I'm always looking, and I've got a budget, and if I find something I really like, I buy/bid. I went three years without finding anything I really, really liked in my budget, then came across two just recently that I loved and got for a song. Some folks don't like the chase, though.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
In the $200 range, I'd probably try to find a nice artisan estate.
This!
I would patiently wait and search for an artisan estate. Something like a Rad Davis, Old Nellie, Larrysson, Andy Petersen, Chheda, Shalosky, Ryan Alden, Abe Herbaugh, Thomas James etc....
I would also probably stash a few cobs away for rotation that way she doesn't know the difference because they look the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.