If You Cannot Buy the Rack You Want, Build It.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
I tried to find a wall rack that would hold what I wanted, and couldn't find anything close that was available. The closest I found was on SPC, but they were not in stock.

I hemmed and hawed over what materials to use, and finally decided on rustic looking wood from Home Depot. In hindsight, I would use better dimensional wood, and finish it myself. To say that this wood was "dimensionally variable" is a gross understatement. It was very difficult to make it come out even close to square, and have even joints. All in all, I'm happy though. All said and done, it was about $80 in materials and perhaps 6 hours of labor. I don't have a proper wood shop, and it was built mostly with hand tools.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Very nice! :clap:
The journey to find a proper home for your pipes is never ending.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Yes! Nice rack. I love the home made solutions to the rack issue. A nice rack costs a lot , and the sluts are all the same . If you have non traditional pipe shapes they don’t fit into the old school racks.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
Thanks for the compliments... I actually stole the keyhole design from the rack I saw on SPC. Fits all the shapes I have to include a Churchwarden. It's a 48 pipe rack, I have several to add :) Most of them currently are a 10 pipe grab bag of MM seconds... awesome deal BTW.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
@loadclear

Can I ask for more details on the keyhole pipe slots.How large are they and how did you make them?,also what is the distance between each one.

I to have been looking for a pipe rack/cupboard and ended up buying a ready made wall cupboard that I will try to convert.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
The large holes are 1 3/8", and the small holes are 7/8". The overall length of the slots are 2 7/8" including the holes. I don't have the spacing distance in front of me, since I'm at work, but each 24" shelf has 12 keyholes, and they are evenly spaced.
I laid out the 1 3/8" centers and the 7/8" centers, and drilled them using forster bits, after first covering the whole board in masking tape (to protect against chipping). Once both holes were drilled, I used a jigsaw to cut the slot.
Here is the original design that I stole from SPC:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-furniture/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=58917

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I was going to start a thread about finding reasonable and simple pipe racks to purchase. I have looked and looked and they either are not what I am looking for or and in most cases just to damned expensive. After seeing your rack I think I am going to have to try to build one as well. Thanks for the information.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
loadclear, welcome aboard. That's a handsome rack and much credit goes to you for working without a woodworking set-up. I've done some projects that way, and it was satisfying knowing the adaptations that needed to be made. There's a little Robinson Crusoe in working that way. The rack looks great, holds a lot, with a nice shelf for tobacco, efficient and practical, and good looking too. There used to be an outfit called Two Cousins that did racks and cabinets to order. They cost more than doing it yourself, of course, but they did a good job and weren't greedy with prices. My wife was in rehab for hip surgery at the time, and I sure didn't have time to build anything, so she gave me a gift certificate for my birthday. I requested a worn barn-wood (weathered red) look. They built it and sent a picture, and a second picture of a more conventional rack, in case I didn't like the worn barn-wood version, but I loved it. When I chose it, they heartily agreed. When it arrived, I loaded the pipes on it and drove the whole kit to the rehab and set it up at bedside. Unfortunately, I think Two Cousins has gone out of business; I'm not sure of their status, but people have gone looking and not found them online.

Status
Not open for further replies.