If there is a tobacco God, I am definitely blessed this weekend.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
If there is a tobacco God, I am definitely blessed by him (or her) this weekend.

In a conversation with an older instrument maker, I found out that his deceased father is a pipe smoker. And then he told out these 'tins' which he peeled off the seal labels to make them look better.
I don't think anyone in my real life (with no well-seasoned pipe smoking friend) can understand my excitement about this, nor I can effectively share it with them, except in this virtual pipe club in the cyber-space.
uc

Content are all untouched. Although some of them might have dried out because of the seals became ineffective after 20+ years, at least I can now experience or re-experience some of these 'over-hyped' taste.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
@beastkhk

Yes! I think perhaps the tobacco God heard my prayers. :worship:
@mcitinner1

I use Firefox, and the link may only work in a more Mozilla compatible browser.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Pretty amazing. Actual Balkan Sobranie that was made by Sobranie. What's overhyped is the new Balkan Sobranie reissue.

If it's dried out you can rehydrate with distilled water and toweling. There's been a lot of discussion on this forum and a search will give you useful information in that direction. But depending on what's inside the tins, you may find something very mellow or something that has significantly faded. Rehydration can sometimes bring back some, not all, but some, of what was lost. 40+ year old latakia blends are going to be much less pungent. Latakia loses some of its pungency over time. All that said, you may have some wonderful stuff there. Congratulations!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh, anointed one, be sure to give us a report on your journeys through these classic, no longer available blends. You have access to a time machine here.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Wow, some of those, I've only heard and read about. Make sure you let us know how they work for you:)

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
All this fuss over the Dunhill and the Smoking Mixture. You are missing the holy grail. That little tin of Virginia no.10 is going to be as smooth and tasty as a 1955 Glenfiddach. Great score menuhin!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
That is truly amazing and stokes the imagination as to how much more there is in the way of "finds" in the pipe smoking world. It offers a little hope for anyone seeking the pleasure of some vintage smoking joy. Be sure to share that with your friends and keep that karma alive! That EMP is probably tastes like pink Unicorn farts! Sweet and delicious!

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Thanks all of you replied and those reading in the forum for letting me share my excitement.
@peteguy

That tin Virginia no. 10 sounds very interesting - it reads "With Choicest Cigar Leaf"
@settersbrace

In my local small circle pipe meeting, I always share and will definitely share the tobacco when I open my tins and keep this karma going. :)
I will definitely report at some point after I have finally opened them and re-hydrated them, but I have to be really careful this time - I remember my first or second post on the forum was about me making my favorite tobacco all moldy and not smokable anymore. :oops:

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Wow! Those tins look like they are painted, like before sticker labels. When you finish the contents, if you do not want them, let me know. Especially the EMP tin. I am sorry that I tossed mine in the last move. :crying:
:puffpipe:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
What an amazing assortment of vintage tins!

Please let us know how you enjoyed them. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.