PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macthenife

Lurker
Mar 24, 2011
I know that Brian briefly discussed this topic on the first program but I would really like to see this topic revisited. I'm interested in exploring more about pipe clubs. What are some good ideas for getting one going, what works well for attracting others to meetings, how should meetings be structured. Maybe an interview with a president of one of the long standing clubs and what has been successful for their club. I'm personally trying to get a group going and to keep going. We have had two meetings so far and have had eight show up to the last meeting. I want to offer a meetings that will continue to attract more pipe smokers and promote a good environment for people that are interested in taking up pipe smoking. This forum already has a wealth of information that I've already drawn upon, I just believe this will be a great topic to cover to help each community support and protect pipe smoking.

Thanks Kevin and Brian for your continued promotion and support of the pipe smoker's community and for your consideration of this suggestion.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
This is something that could benefit some eager people. I wish there was a pipe club around here. Awesome idea!

hurkman

Lurker
Nov 25, 2012
This is a good idea. I would love to be a part of a club. I havent found any close to me and its hard to have the time (I work crazy hours). It would be a really good way to bring more people into the hobby.

macthenife

Lurker
Mar 24, 2011
Thank you Guitarguy86 and Hurkman for the supporting the interest.
Kevin, thank you for checking into this. I think it will be beneficial to all pipe smokers looking to gather with others with the same interest.
Thanks,

Shawn

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Here's an article by Steve Fallon (pipestud on ebay) about starting a pipe club:

http://www.naspc.org/Archives/pipeclub.html

rhys

Lurker
Dec 19, 2012
I think it is a fantastic, idea. I'm a new pipe smoker, long time cigar smoker, and I'd love the chance to pick the brains of some seasoned smokers. I'm learning a ton from the radio show and the guys at Perettis in Boston, but the benefits of a club would be invaluable.

quantumpipe

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
I think having people to share any hobby with is a great thing. I would love if there was a pipe club near me, I think it would be an awesome way to get to know other pipe smokers and learn from them

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Step 1: You have to find a venue that you can consistently use that permits pipe smoking.
Step 2: Decide what your focus as a club will be. If you simply want to have pipers get together every so often and smoke and shoot the breeze you don't need a lot of structure or organization. You just need to develop something to get people to regularly come to meetings or attendance will be up-and-down. If you want consistent attendance then the club leadership has to offer some that will bring the pipers back on a regular basis. I have found that offering programs (20-30 minutes) fills that bill. The progams do not have to be tobacco related, they just have to be entertaining.
More later.

Status
Not open for further replies.