I Will Be Introducing a Cigar Guy To Pipe Smoking...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I "HOOKED" him on the taste and experience of pipe smoking.
Sadly, that's not what you wrote. You wrote:
(I'm not an aro smoker, but that one is good for hooking new smokers IMO).
I read "hooking new smokers". I foolishly thought you typed what you intended to type. Me bad for taking your statement at face value.
I "HOOKED" him on the taste and experience of pipe smoking.
Much clearer! And, much different from the original quote.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I agree it wasn't the best choice of words, but I don't think anyone here is hanging out behind the dumpsters in a duster jacket with cans of cult blood red moon taped to the inside flaps coercing their next victim to have a taste.
"Come on, man. Don't you want to be cool?.......it tastes like Cherries! I promise!"
reefer-madness-02.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
No. But if someone already casually smokes joints, but they want to try it in a pipe..........sure. Sounds like a few folks on this thread could use both right now.
Tried that. Talk about ghosting a pipe. And not an efficient way to consume that product. Thank goodness it was a cheap cob.
To the OP. You keep adding more bits and pieces as this progresses. At this point, I'd say go all in and encourage him all you can. In fact, being a friend, you should buy him a Castello Collection and perhaps a new high end Artisan pipe in order that he really gets hooked. And if you don't supply him with at least a 250 gr sample of at least a dozen high quality blends, you're just posing as a friend, a pipe smoking Diplomat and a really poor "hooker".
While I didn't provide a popular opinion right off the bat, I hope this more than makes up for it.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Tried that. Talk about ghosting a pipe.
Hahahaha, I bet! Might be the only thing that sticks around more than lakeland essence.
The OP hasn't posted in 18 hours.....hope he didn't get spooked off :(

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
Title of thread:
I will be introducing a cigar guy to pipe smoking..
Sorry Warren, I’ll try to make every further post as if there were no context so that there will be no more confusion.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
"Come on, man. Don't you want to be cool?.......it tastes like Cherries! I promise!"
ARO MADNESS!!!
Think the occasional cigar is an innocent indulgence? Think again...it's a GATEWAY DRUG that will lead you into the dark alleys where the pipe-smoking FIENDS lie in wait to lure you into their depraved world of insanity!
Once HOOKED...there's no way out of
ARO MADNESS!!!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Clarity is always appreciated "loadclear".
"Hooking" is so very different from simply "introducing." Where you see context in your reply, the reader, at least this one, sees no connection to simply "introducing" a person to an experience and "hooking" them, a slang term at best, used mainly when discussing narcotics usage. I simply submit that your use of the slang, hip as it may appear to you and maybe some others, skewed your intent for a few of us to whom words have meaning.
So, any effort on your part for clarity is truly appreciated. I thank you for the effort.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
hip as it may appear to you and maybe some others, skewed your intent for a few of us to whom words have meaning.
I appreciate the civil discourse without hint of condescension- thanks!
I never knew that "hooked on" referred only to illegal narcotics. Looks like I need to revisit a few of my "Hooked on Phonics" lessons.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
Hello everyone. Lost my internet for a day, and the thread got away from me. Thanks for mixture of comments on my topic and some entertainment. I laughed out loud several times reading this.
I will take many comments to heart, and we will do our best. It did occur to me that he might be a different type of smoker than I am, and since it looks like we won't be able to to do this for a month due to our busy August schedules, I will manage expectations and figure out what he is really looking for.
It would be nice to have some friends who smoke pipes. But, this guy can always smoke a cigar while I smoke my pipe.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@deckpiper: Whatever you do, don't let him read this thread...that would scare him away for certain.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A few perusals of a Cigar International catalog I got in the mail convince me that the cost difference between cigars and pipe tobacco alone would win over many. You can get some bundles of basic cigars for the cost of a premium tin. But most of the boxes and bundles get beyond a hundred and into the hundreds. If you're having that kind of year, you might not notice. But the cost difference is significant. And the pleasure, for me, is on the side of the pipes even disregarding cost.

pinchoftobacco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2018
@Voorhess (Jason) you hit the nail on the head, so true.
Good luck. I have learned that you must have a passion for it. Pipe smoking is much more involved than even cigar smoking and some people enjoy the routine and some won't ever.
I have tried to get a couple friends (who seemed interested) into pipes and i haven’t had much success. They don’t seem to want to spend the time to practice honing in your technique for packing the pipe, lighting, etc. much like our society as a whole they want instant satisfaction, kind of impatient.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
RE: A different friend (not the one referenced in the OP):
I was meeting a different friend of mine for drinks after work Friday, and I told him I was stopping by a nearby cigar shop beforehand, so he met me there instead of at the bar.
We looked at the pipes, and he bought a Missouri Meerschaum and a bulk aromatic (didn't recognize the name). I bought a small portion of bulk C&D Engine #99.
He tried his, and thought it was ok (didn't seem excited). He dumped it out and tried the Engine #99, and loved it. So, I gave it to him.
Today, at work, he said he was smoking it over the weekend and loved it.
I have to say, I liked the Engine #99, too. First time I'd had it. I would totally buy it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.