Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Hello everyone. Hope you are all ready for the holiday season

I decided to treat myself for both Christmas (no one else is going to buy me a pipe) and my new promotion. This is what I came up with. Being a "noob" what do you all think? this is my first "expensive pipe" Also what do you think of the tobacco selection

-Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

-Orlik Golden Sliced

-Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River

-Three Nuns
I posted this in a few other threads but have not yet received any input so I decided to start a new one. Thanks in advance for your input. Happy Holidays!
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
That is a handsome pipe I hope it smokes well for you. I have been meaning to get an Army bit.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
That's a good looking pipe. Peterson makes a solid smoker, you should be happy.
Heads up with the FVF, it can be a tricky one to smoke. I only say this because you mentioned being a "noob". Take a look through this forum for topics on Full Virginia Flake and you'll find all kinds of techniques for smoking.
Congratulations on the promotion as well!

Jan 8, 2013
I normally don't like straight pipes... but I'm smoking one loaned to me by a member that I really like, and every once in a while I see one that is really quite nice. Numbersix I think is the straight pipe king. He has some nice ones. I don't normally like the look of those army bits on Petes either. I do however like Petes. And that one, being straight and an army bit, I find to be a very nice looking pipe. I like the look of that cumberland stem. Very nice pipe :) Let us know how she smokes for you :)

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
You will not go wrong with a Peterson. I have several and they all serve me well. Yours is a handsome looking pipe and you will look good smoking it; a fitting accent to your position, something on which all of us here on the forum congratulate you. Your choice of tobacco is remarkably sophisticated for a newcomer to the hobby, and I congratulate you on that as well. Welcome to our group, and I hope we'll be hearing a lot more from you in time to come.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Thank you all for the kind words! Especially @ravkesef I have worked really hard, gotten an education and figured it is about time! I work for TD Bank and I worked my up to a very well respected level as a business accounts resource officer. I realize that this is all "bank jargon" but being 29 and 6 months away from marriage I am THRILLED! (although my fiancee will not be thrilled to find out that I spent $200 on tobacco related products).

I cannot wait to get this package! Was the military mount a good idea? Even though i am a "noob" I research things extensively before i take the plunge so i figured the tobacco i selected was worthy of my money.

I realize that straight pipes are not the "norm" however, there is something about the look of a straight pipe that I cannot turn away from. I had to have one, and a good one! so I hope that this is a "good one"

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I haven't smoked any of those blends so I can't comment on them..The pipe is really pretty.Petersons have been around forever.I'm sure it will smoke very well.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
That is a nice pipe and I have smoked all your tobacco choices but the Seattle Pipe Club blend and I think you will enjoy them, at least the three I have smoked.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
Great looking pipe, certainly worthy of being such a present. I hear Mississippi River is fantastic, have never heard a bad thing about it, nor have tried it though. I'll be sure to order some from the States when I finish this current stock of tobacco.

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
That's a Ashford series right? Great looking pipe, I have a Ashford B51 Poker Sitter, not to be a bummer but I have been having some issues with lacquer finish coming off, hope you don't experience the same, not a huge deal but not exactly cool either.

mtgallet

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
damn.... i wish i never heard that

thanks for the truth, but that better not be the case

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Pally, that Peterson is a classically beautiful burner and I really admire the Cumberland stem. Like Eric, your tobacco choice is very sophisticated. Flakes can be be pretty fussy. Your due diligence will pay off in the long run.
If you enjoy Mississippi River be sure and try SPC's Plum Pudding.
Please report back in after the first bowl or two.
Fnord

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Great looking Pete and a pretty good set of choices in your tobaccos too. Three Nuns is in my current rotation and a good choice for that new Pete. I love that pipe, might have to get myself 'one more thing' for Christmas.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Good looking pipe! I've got several Peterson's and have had fantastic luck with them. They just have this "character" about them that I'm drawn too.
I had to laugh at the $200 bit. When I first started smoking I used to look at $80-$100 pipes and think man, that's my absolute limit. Then it was $200, then $300. Now I'm sitting here thinking man a certain someone just posted a $400 pipe on his site.....Soon you will be too!
I will say one thing. Your $200 pipe is an investment over the years. As long as you take care of it, you'll get tons of return from it.
If not Peterson's have a pretty high (sometimes too high IMO) resale value too.
Give it some time to break itself in. Congrats on your promotion!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Good-looking pipe, and a great selection of "first" tobaccos -- an unusually high-quality beginning for a new smoker, in fact!
My only comment would be that unless Mississippi River contains latakia -- I'm not familiar with it -- then you're focusing entirely on Virginia and Virginia/perique blends. I would encourage newer pipe smokers to diversify a lot more than that to see what flavors and aromas really resonate with them personally.
I'll also just mention that, while the three blends that I know are very high quality, you're kind of jumping into the deep end here. Three Nuns requires a bit of special handling; Full Virginia Flake may require a bit more. (Not that they're hard to work with. They just aren't blends I'd recommend to anyone who isn't experienced in packing a pipe with a standard-cut mixture.) They also reward patient smoking -- something that newer smokers may not be expert at when just starting out.
So: I don't want to dissuade you from these blends. But I'd encourage you to spread your wings a bit more and to pick up a selection or two that is not a flake or spun-cut (FVF/Orlik, and 3Nuns, respectively). I would suggest G.L. Pease Caravan (a very solid, mid-range Balkan blend) or McClelland's Frog Morton on the Town (a delicious English variation), but there are literally hundreds to choose from.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.