I Told You I Was Going to Buy a Caminetto! Pics for Proof...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Accessories
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
It was about 5-6 days ago when I replied to a thread about what's on your PAD list. I have been looking at Caminettos for a few weeks, and had a couple of them on my watch list. One I liked didn't sell, and the seller re-listed it with a buy it now for $60. I ended up buying it and the shipping was even free! It did need some work on the stem, as it was chipped or melted up by the shank. Never seen this problem before, but for me lucite is a little easier to work with, but it did take longer than I expected.
The pipe is stamped KS, but I'm not sure what it stands for. Savinelli uses it to indicate a larger pipe. This is pretty normal, 5 3/4" long, 2" tall and weighs 48g. It's a rather strange shape too, not sure what you'd call it. Maybe a straight Rhodesian of some sort? The stem is a really dark purple/black color with a few lighter swirls in it. It has a barely visible mustache stamped on the stem, not the early skinny one, but still it's gold and not white, so I'm not sure when it was made. Any guesses?
img_0893-600x361.jpg

img_0894-600x348.jpg

img_0896-600x330.jpg

img_0897-600x455.jpg

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Orley:
I just received the latest Briar Blues newsletter and was noodling through Michael's swell website.
After his Caminetto listing there's the following link:
"The information was found in the Brothers of Briar Forum plus an email from Rob Cooper ( coopersark )"
It reads:
"There is also another factor in stamping, that is, which series the pipe falls in. The majority of Caminetto's one sees are those of the "Business" series, which are stamped such with their collective shape (see photo of shapes below). Another stamp that sometimes follows the "Business" one is "KS," which from what I know means "King-size" (this could be wrong, as there are pipes stamped with KS1, KS2, and KS3)."
Your pipe is an odd looking duck, Agnostic, but I do like it and I hope it smokes like a champ for you.
Would you please send a pix of the pipe bowl front when you get it?
And congrats on your first Caminetto!
Fmord

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Fnord: Thanks for the info. I checked out the Briar Blues site and read what it had to say about Caminettos, but I'm still not sure what the age of my pipe is. I was thinking it was the second period, late 70s early 80s?

I already had a shot I took of the bowl front, but didn't think it was that interesting. Anyway, here you go.
img_0908-600x460.jpg

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Wow very interesting looking Caminetto. They really smoke great.
I love their business rusticated finish. I've got a great bent billiard that I picked up from Harris a few years ago with that finish.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
That is a really awesome looking pipe! Very very cool, and sounds like a great deal on it as well!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Cool pipe. I remember seeing that one on ebay -- the shape is really eye-catching.
BTW, how did you fix that chip in the stem?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
pitchfork, I repaired the stem by putting some scotch tape on a washer, sliding it on the stem then pushed the stem into the shank. I then use a combination of both black and clear super glue to fill in the chips missing. Filed and sanded it down, then a re-application of the glue mixture, file and sand some more. When I got the shape about right, I removed the washer with the tape, (the glue won't stick to the tape) and put the tenon into a hole in sand paper in a hole in a wood block and twisted it a few times to make sure the face of the stem was flat. Put the stem in the pipe and do a little more finish work, touch up the stain on the end of the shank, and polish and wax. Depending on the color of the stem, I find lucite stems easier to repair than vulcanite. The main reason for this is that I am not George Dibos! I'm a tinkerer, and George is a master craftsman. So far I've managed to get by. Pure luck.... :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.