PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I guess I am a total late bloomer on this one but, after two years, I finally tried a cob pipe. I know we don't generally review pipes, but I think this might be useful for the newer guys. Those who are hesitant about giving a cob a try. Besides, these are readily available, and cheaper than a tin, so what the hell. Here is a my humble opinion, after smoking exclusively from briars for two years.
It started on Thursday. My box from 4noggins had arrived, it was lunch time, and I couldn't wait to tear into it. I popped open the box to find a well padded plastic bag with my new Missouri Meerschaum Diplomat inside. Itching to give it a shot, a laid out some Old Dark Fired to dry and prayed for a sudden dry heat to overtake my kitchen.
First, aesthetics. I love the look, classic and somewhat rustic. It was heavier than I expected it to be, but not too heavy to clench. Just enough weight to feel nice in the hand. And to keep it sitting when sat down. The shape, also, is great in hand. My overall opinion at that point was "well, it seems tougher than I expected." I looked down the bowl (yes, I was clueless) and spotted the shank protruding into the bowl. I did a quick google search to confirm it's normality, then tried clenching it to see about comfort. I have to say, the plastic bit is fairly soft for a pipe stem, but that does seem to make a comfortable clench.
I was running short on time, so I ended up yanking out the filter and packing it with ODF that was still a bit too wet for my liking. I walked outside and fired it up. Nice open draw, smooth flavor. Ok, I thought, seems good so far. Then there is that protruding shank thing again. The draft is a beveled cut, and the thin wood on the top side will burn. And taste rough. Like smoking a log rough. But, I had read that this was part of the break in process, so I just set the pipe down and let the coals cook the shank a bit before dumping the ash. Which, surprisingly, is exactly what I dumped. Ash. Not dottle. I smiled. So far, so good.
Anyhow, I decided to abuse this little cob a bit to see if it was up to the challenge of being my pipe. So I smoked about 5 bowls that first evening through it. Then about 6 more the next day. Then a few more this morning. All ODF, this sucker is dedicated now. It just tastes so damn good in this cob. No issues, the cob can take a beating. After about 6 bowls most of the inner shank had burned off (I had been scraping at the charred wood with a pipe nail after every bowl) and the taste was good all the way through. I smoked hot, fast and repetitively. Not once did the bowl get hot, not once did I slurp up any moisture. The bowl didn't burn, although I did char the rim a touch, but I think it looks good that way. Every smoke has been amazing. I love the draw, nice and open, good for clenching. I like the mild cob flavor. I love that it can handle anything and still smoke amazing. And of course, I love that it was less than 10 bucks. The only downside, as many have mentioned, is the stem. After days of heavy clenching, it looks like I have been chewing it. It is comfortable, but it looks rough. And I wish it had been about a half inch shorter. Forever stem here I come.
I will, without a doubt, be picking up more cobs. They cost roughly the same as a pack of smokes. I could buy one a week and not blink. If I butcher one, oh well. Easy on the eyes, palate and wallet. You can't beat that. My only regret is not having tried one sooner.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
What a great review. I would have to concur with everything you wrote. I have a couple cobs. I use tem for when I'm working on a project, fishing, or doing anything where I might cause damage to a pipe. They are excellent smokers! and for under $5, they simply cannot be beat. I find it fun to customize tem. As inexpensive as they are, it's fun to play with stains, etc. to "trick" them out a bit.

Dec 24, 2012
I have some. I use them primarily for when I am doing yard work, and a couple of times when I have smoked out in the hot tub. I bought a bag of seconds at MM, which worked out to a few bucks a pipe if I remember correctly. Only thing I didn't like was the stem, so I picked up a couple of those forever stems. Great post.

ragnar

Lurker
Apr 17, 2014
I have only been enjoying pipes for 6 months but cob's are very enjoyable for the price, make a great "guest pipe" or just for trying new blends. Great review.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Glad you took the cob plunge. While I love my briars, I'm equally a fan of my cobs. I have five that I rotate through, typically during the day, but occasionally in the evening if I'm in the mood for a burley or light aro. I've found burleys just taste better in a cob. I also like VaPer hybrids with Kentucky in a cob. Recently I've been smoking McConnell's Scottish Cake in a cob more often than a briar. And yes, Foreverstems make a big difference.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Great review, I think your experience echoes what other have experienced and why they have such a loyal following. Welcome to the wonderful world of cobs sir.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Picked a cob up a week or two ago. It's not as aesthetically pleasing as my briars, but it sure does smoke well.

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
I got a corncob for the first time the other week and loved it almost immediately (I removed the medico filter before my first smoke on it and ended up with burning bits of wood flying into my mouth...with the filter in place it is great).

There's also something quite satisfying in being able to properly chew on the (presumably) low quality orange mouthpiece...though maybe that's frowned upon, I dunno.

But anyway...ambling slowly to work with a black coffee in one hand and a corncob full of royal yacht in the other (while commuters puffing on cigarettes rush by me) is a VERY nice way to start the day.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I wasn't much of a fan of the cob until I purchased a Forever Stem. It made all the difference. I have 2 MM cobs which are dedicated to 2 different aros (one for Molto Dolce and the other for Melange). I have one Forever Stem already and a second on the way for my Melange pipe.
Nice review, friend!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I took my 14 yr old neighbors kid fishing yesterday and of course took a couple cobs along including a favorite Washington pipe that I retrofitted with a vulcanite stem. I had a fleece jacket on and I stuck the cob in my pocket to assist the kid in untangling his fly from a tree when I heard it, the unmistakeable "kerplunk" of a cob splashing down. The look on the kids face was priceless and I just laughed and told him "don't just stand there, fish it out!" They float really well, btw. I guess I'll have to sterilize it in alcohol or just get a new one, I don't know but that's the beauty in cobs, no tears.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I bought a MM Legend (natural finish) at my B&M a couple weeks ago, and it pretty much doesn't leave my immediate vicinity. It's so lightweight that I can clench it effortlessly. I can smoke PA in it all day and it doesn't degrade at all.
I keep it in one of the chest pockets of my overalls. People take a gigantic heavily tattooed man wearing overalls with a corncob pipe seriously, ha! I kind of have to smile about it.
I have some great briars that I love, but, with the weightlessness and durability of this cob, I rarely have smoked them. I love to ogle pipes online and dream of buying them, but I could buy a whole fleet of cobs and be very happy instead.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
I'm a hug fan of my cob. Great for when you're working and driving. Dislike the bits and I tend to bite through them easily but I can buy 4 pipes for the price of one forever stem. Or just buy replacement stems for 50 cents a pop.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Great post. I find myself packing them a bit tight..just get a good pinch of tobacco, twist it in a bit and leave an air pocket at the bottom.
I think it works really well due to the large airway.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Great review. I just bought a MM pony this morning for $3.50 and I'm really impressed with the quality of the smoke. Very cool and dry for such a small pipe. My new fishing pipe. Burning out the shank is the worst part of breaking them in but it only takes a half dozen smokes or so.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks guys. I was hesitant, but I am really glad I decided to try one. I am planning on grabbing up a few more soon, at least 1 more for aro's and another for some of the other VA and VA/PER blends I like. The draw is the big winner for me here. I love that wide open pull. Effortless smoking.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I was also a late bloomer - I was 62 before I owned a MM Cob. Can't believe I was such a snob! These are great pipes.
I have 2 Diplomats, 1 Country Gentleman, and 1 Legend. All with Forever stems. You won't regret the money spent - if your cob is wiped out, it will fit another (just watch the filtered/unfiltered). I always keep a couple of Legends around the house for guests, and have given several away. The reaction is always the same, "Why didn't I know about these???"

Glad you've joined the masses!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bought my first MM cob in its home state of Missouri, down near Kirksville at a convenience store. Since then, I have

supplied three of my cobs with Forever stems, which makes them unfiltered pipes, and I've kept one with a filter and

supplied it with a softie bit to keep from chewing up the plastic stem. My cobs get some char on the brim. But I don't

feel they are disposable. To the contrary, I feel they are more intriguing once broken in, and I find they can last a long

time -- haven't burnt one out yet. Recently at the pipe show, I bought two Old Dominion pipes from Bob Savage himself,

and love the way they look and feel, and am looking forward to breaking them in; one is a Laughing Chief, the other a

small (Group 1) pipe for short smokes and strong tobaccos. The big extra with Old Dominion pipes is the bamboo stem,

which is a great historical smoke, and also the natural Indian corn bowls. Corn cob pipes are an essence of pipe smoking.

You just can't beat them. And I am totally attached to my briars, so I'm not dis'ing them.

Jan 8, 2013
Mso, I agreed. Not disposable, but affordably replaceable. I like the.broken in cob look myself, my kids laugh at me, but I am enjoying it. It's been 5 days now, and I am still smoking this thing steadily.

Status
Not open for further replies.