PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

achtman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2017
My latest acquisition. Benjamin Barling 1851

If this works, the sentence above is a link to an eBay auction I won last night. This is by far the oldest pipe I owe, by over 30 years. And possibly the most unique.

What surprises me is the mouthpiece. I would have expected amber or horn or wood in 1851. But the seller says he has seen others like this but doesn‘t know what they are made from.

The pipe has been bought but not even shipped yet. I‘ll know more in two days.
Mark

Jun 9, 2018
England

If this works, the sentence above is a link to an eBay auction I won last night. This is by far the oldest pipe I owe, by over 30 years. And possibly the most unique.

What surprises me is the mouthpiece. I would have expected amber or horn or wood in 1851. But the seller says he has seen others like this but doesn‘t know what they are made from.

Mark

I saw that very pipe as I was perusing ebay the other day! Waaaay out of my price range at the moment but what a Smashing looking pipe it is.
It's funny to think whoever bought and smoked that pipe did so while Queen Victoria was on the throne.
I hope you cherish and enjoy the heck out of it.

Chris.

achtman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2017
It was actually quite reasonably priced until somebody else put in a competing bid in the last 5 seconds. As a result of which I refused to tell my wife how much the final price was:)

Glad you like it. I‘m waiting to hear what Jesse has to say.
Mark

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

achtman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2017
Possibly an albatross bone stem. Not a bad price actually though I'm no meerschaum fan. Excellent condition for its age

Thanks for posting the pictures. I was too lazy to do so. I also thought the price was reasonable given the age and rarity, even though it was more than I was enthused about spending.

I was not a Meer fan but have recently been collecting early calabashes, and an Orlik Goudron, and even smoking them (except that the Goudron is out for restoration). I also have two or three other old Meers. But I bought this because it is by Benjamin Barling and the silver work is gorgeous. As I indicated it doesn‘t look particularly for smoking and I mostly bought it for the historical interest.

View attachment 4893

View attachment 4894

View attachment 4895

View attachment 4896

View attachment 4897

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Incredible! 1851. Excuse the American bias. The California goldrush was in full swing, Melville published Moby Dick, a 42 year old lawyer in the prairie named Abraham defended the Alton & Sangamon Railroad ten years before becoming president of the United States. I love historical pieces like this. They truly allow the mind to wander. Enjoy!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Mark,

That is a magnificent addition to your very top notch collection. I was considering bidding as well, but reminded myself that I have enough heirloom pieces that I don't smoke, though this one looks like it's still in fine working order.
1851 was a very significant year for Barling as it was the year of the Great Exhibition, at which Barling was awarded a prize for their silver work, which included sterling decorated meerschaums. Who knows, perhaps this one was one of them!
As to the materials comprising the stem being original, there's no way to know for sure, regardless of any sellers claims. It could be possible. It's just not provable. It also doesn't matter, as long as whatever comprises the stem work is well executed.
1851 would be at the dawn of when Vulcanite could have been used for a stem and mouthpiece. I've found written reference to Vulcanite being used for pipe stems in trade publications from 1852 or 1853. Close enough.

Congratulations! Well done!

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
This pipe just oozes character. I love the colour of the heel and how abruptly, but jagged, the transition of color is from there. I respect that you may not smoke it. Perhaps this can be a rare smoke for Weihnachten or something like that.
Mostly I just wanted to post again to express my appreciation for the aesthetics of this piece. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece

Mark
Another lovely addition Mark, congratulations

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The pleasure might be looking at this pipe while you smoke one of your younger treasures. Assembled, it is most impressive.

Reactions: seldom

achtman

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2017
It has now arrived. The condition is even better than I had hoped. The clasp on the case is so delicate I had to make a foto. However the fraught hole in the cork tenon is so tiny I don’t know if a normal pipecleaner would go through. The colouring on the Meer is indescribably gorgeous.

I append some photos, and if you get bored some additional photos of a 1907 Oppenheimer calabash that was hand-delivered to me by arty Pulvers in unsmoked condition 2 weeks ago. Now smoked once and about to be stuffed with Dunhill Peterson flake. 50355035503650375038503550365037503850395040504150425043

Status
Not open for further replies.