PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alanadobe

Lurker
Sep 11, 2016
Heres a picture
2wmhwsz.jpg

Right now I am having trouble getting a flame even though I can clearly see a spark. Ive tried purging the lighter and I periodically drain all the butane out to keep things clean. How do i fix this?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a nice lighter or two, but I tire of gizmos and opt for matches, nice soft flame, and more control of it. Sorry, this isn't your answer, but if you have to go to matches it might make it seem less of a defeat ... it's a good thing!

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
You can see a spark and the flint can still be shot. Replace the flint (use the corona flints), depress the fill valve until the hissing stops, if you have 'canned air' handy blow the crud out of everywhere, now hold lighter fill valve up and fill with Vector butane. When you think it's full give it a couple of extra pops. Let the butane/lighter warm, turn the flame adjustment down and fire it off.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Yup. New flint is your new step in troubleshooting ... notice that stoke wheel is pulling a bit hard?!

alanadobe

Lurker
Sep 11, 2016
thanks for the tips guys, how difficult is it to replace a flint?
sorry for the noob question but one thing i don't understand, if i can see a spark, wouldn't that mean the flint is fine?

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Piezoelectric lighter, by the look of things. No flint. Those things are fiddly at best. I have a pipe master thar developed the same problem. I'll send it back to Corona at some point for repairs. I couldn't fix them, personally.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Does it light using a match or another lighter? If it does, the little singles are bent. There's a guy at my local B&M that can fix those sometimes so it's probably got a chance of working again.

I've given up on those lighters.

Mike S.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The only sure-fire way to cure all problems with a butane lighter will cost you around $20.
Buy a chrome Zippo w/pipe insert and a can of fuel.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have had a few electric spark lighters over time, and I still use one fairly regularly. I get the same situation sometimes, but find that most often the problem is the little nozzle where the gas comes out gets fouled by the contaminates in the butane. Some times opening the gas control valve all the way to the + and - back and forth then leave it wide open and trying to light it will help. I have also just given he nozzle a good blowing out either with your mouth or canned compressed air. Both methods have worked for me in the past, so it might be worth a try before you send it out to be repaired or decide to toss it.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I just bought one of these that was NOS but said it didn't work.

Fix was relatively easy.
1. I'm assuming there was crappy fuel, needed bled, etc, so I bled it and filled w premium butane.

2. Cleaned the nozzle w alcohol and even used butane to spray down it to make sure it was clear (originally seemed a bit clogged)

3. Got it to light, but intermittently. Discovered that it was sparking too low to consistently light, so all it needed was for that little wire that the spark shoots from to be pushed up a bit, and it was fine after that.
I also think that there is a slight design flaw here in that there's only two slots to allow oxygen in/excess butane to escape, which can cause problems.

AKA: You can't have the lighter set to nuclear level flame or it just doesn't work well.
Since this was the one of the first Google searches to come up when I initially started looking for help myself maybe this will help someone else.

Model is supposedly the "Elfriede" and my paperwork in the original box calls it a Series 20.
nIl7wEX.jpg

gn2Ymj5.jpg

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I only have it turned half way up in the pic here

There is a point at which it can be set so high as to basically blow itself out. It won’t light at all.

It may sound counter intuitive but it was a problem and I looked into it and found repair videos that demonstrate it

Status
Not open for further replies.