I Need Prayers...My German Shepherd has Parvo.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Haven't been on here much lately. Just found out yesterday my dog has Parvo. Today is her 1st birthday and Thursday she hit her 1st heat cycle. Friday she threw up and I thought that was her hormones. Friday she got worse and Sunday took her to vet hospital and they gave her IV under skin, anti vomit meds and pain and antibiotic. Her white blood cells are normal.

Went back this morning and blood count stil normal and she is not dehydrated but bit eating. So today they gave IV under skin again and more pain and antibiotic meds. Lastnight we gave her baby pedilite and pepsid a/c and we had to do IV under skin. Yesterday visit was $330 and today another $391. Get said we did great and is giving her 65% chance. Better than the 50/50 yesterday. Please pray for my dog her name is Shadow and any help or sugustions would be great thanks again!!!!

Marine33-------Richard

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Our 17 lb. Chihuahua, who normally would be leery of a German Shepherd, wishes Shadow a speedy recovery. But as your dog is a female, and Idgee being the neurotic little guy he is, still loves female dogs! Both Idgee and me and my wife hate to see pets suffer, so hopefully your love and the thoughts of others like us, plus the help of the vet will help Shadow pull through.

Best of luck.... Paul, Sylvia and Idgee

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
So sorry to hear this Richard.
I know that dehydration is a huge factor with this ... keep up on fluids by sub-Q if necessary.
Here is a helpful page of info:
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/heal_parvo.html
Best wishes to you all.

Jan 8, 2013
Man that is rough. I have a GSD too, and I can't imagine life without her goofy butt. Best wishes to you and Shadow.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Nothing worse than having a family member get seriously ill. Hope she has a speedy and full recovery. :(

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I love dogs but don't know much about them or their medical conditions as I have never been blessed to have one as a family member. I do however have a cat that insists on living forever; she's at least 15 years old now and no signs of slowing down. Never been to the Vet.
God bless Shadow; may she heal quickly and have comfort soon. Prayers for her family, too; that sounds like a nerve-wracking and expensive medical condition.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Thanks all I have been a busy daddy with her as I squirt pedilite in her mouth every 40 min. But the good news is she is not throwing up no more. I have a prescription dog food that is very soft and I hand feed her about a spoon full every hour. Thanks all for the prayers. My mom helped out big time which is weird cause she is scared of all animals but hates to see them suffer. I will keep you all posted. Thanks again believe me .....it helps to know my new friends are praying for us!!!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Richard, words escape me. I had one dog that got the dreaded parvo. If it be your will Lord, may all turn out well please.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I had a rott many years ago that got parvo. He was sick for quite awhile, but survived it and fully recovered. I wish the same for Shadow. Glad you are able to be there to nurse him back to health.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All good prayers and thoughts for Shadow. Animals can have amazing recuperative powers, and that is

what I wish for her. My sister has a rescue German Shepherd (well mostly GS) and he is a crazy teenager

but looks to be an amazing dog. Shepherds are smarter than many people and know things people can't.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Parvo is some serious stuff and I hope and pray she can pull through. I'll hug my 3 extra hard tonight as we think of Shadow.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
As a diehard German Shepherd owner for my entire life I got a lump in my throat when I read your title. I have owned 4 GSD's in my lifetime. My last one got Parvo at 6 months and survived without any residual problems and lived a happy normal life. He stayed in a vets office for 3 nights (cha ching) and then I took him home and treated him myself. They administered antibiotics and an IV drip with a wait and see approach.
Hydration is key.
Please take note.. do NOT give your dog Pediolyte as all of the flavored varieties are added with Aspartame (artificial sweetener) It is a known neurotoxin and most vets do not know this. Pediolyte does make a plain version though. If you have already used a flavored variety don't freak out as your dog is getting better. Just stop using it. I made large batches of beef broth which my dog loved and drank it readily. I don't like many of the dog foods on the market these days either. For her recovery I suggest some cooked hamburg or chicken in an oatmeal broth. The meat will stir up her appetite and oatmeal broth is a wonderful healing aid for the digestive tract.
I have seen Parvo take out entire litters but that is when the pups are very young and still have a immature immune system. Being that Shadow is older, her immune system is better developed and she should be just fine. Keep us posted and I'll say some prayers for her.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Like kola, I am a lifelong GSD owner. One of mine, my best dog, was just diagnosed with a prostate problem that may prevent our planned breeding. It's an absolute shame - his intelligence, Instincts, and temperament are the best I've ever seem on a dog. I'm usually not one to get attached, but this one is a once-in-a-lifetime dog. A true star
I hope yours recovers. I know how sad these things can be. Lost a Rytex gun dog last year - my wife's favorite. She's still not over it....

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Thanks all and Kola I got the unflavored kind , glad now! The vet and mysel have been giving 500cc of fluid under skin. Does that work good? Im gonna try what younsaid with hamburger too. She has this prescription food now 2 cans and I have onky been able to get 3 teaspoons down her but no throwing up in atleast 30 hours. Thanks all for your help and encouragement.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't know if you guys are aware but there is a parvo vaccine, if your dog recovers, which once they're adults it's alot more likely for them to, make sure you get it vaccinated so the dog or you doesn't go through this again. It's pretty much a standard vaccine for puppies where I live.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Another note on this: American dogs must be the least healthy on the world, fed on a steady diet of corn by-products, scrap from the factory floor, and blood.
I suggest cooking your own dog food and supplementing with fresh bones. Anyone interested in how to do this, PM me and I'll shoot you a basic recipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.