I love the strong cedar flavor in many cigars...can you find it in pipe tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
I like cigars, but I've found I really only love the ones that are cedar bombs. I don't think I've ever read a pipe tobacco review where cedar was a primary flavor. The only real reason I keep turning to cigars is to get that cedar taste, but if I could find something similar in a pipe, I'd save a lot of money.
Any recommendations, or is this the classic case of "let cigars be cigars, and let pipes be pipes"?
EDIT: to clarify, I'm not looking for a 1:1 cigar experience, just a strong cedar flavor.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've caught a bit of cedar like essence while smoking SPC Potlatch and also GL Pease Haddo's Delight.
I still haven't figured out which component is responsible for it, though.
HERE'S my Haddo's Delight write up.
jay-roger.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
+1 to daveinlax
I’ve not had success trying to infuse cedar to pipe tobacco. Similar experience as Dave.

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
Interesting you found the cedar flavor in Haddo's. I couldn't find much of anything other than the casing. I'm in the lonely camp of being a Haddo's hater. It's been probably five years since I tried it though, so maybe it's worth another shot. I've avoided Potlatch due to the Latakia in it, but I'm trying to find a way to enjoy Latakia these days. If I can work my way into it, I'll have to give Potlatch a try.
I've avoided Capstan Blue by accident thus far, but I'll have to give it a shot!

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
If you go to tobaccoreviews.com and do a search for "cedar" in the text of reviews, you get a list of 222 blends that have reviews that mention "cedar".
That's a bit of a research project, but a place to start if you have time on your hands.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've smoked over 10,000 Cigars and never tasted cedar. I've certainly smelled the Spanish cedar humidor liners and perhaps that gave me his of cedar in the cigar.
Take some pipe tobacco and store it open in a Spanish cedar lined humidor for a bit. When you're ready to smoke it, make sure to breathe in the aroma from the humidor. Enjoy.

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
hoosier - you don't taste cedar in Caldwell's Blind Man's Bluff, or Oliva Serie V Melanio? It's such a common flavor for people to find, maybe your body chemistry doesn't pick it up?
yaddy - good idea. I was hoping there might be some blend already regarded as having strong cedar notes, but this may be the best way forward. Something to keep me busy as this bad weather rolls through!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I do not. I found it I drank port while smoking a cigar, it was if it brought out a woody flavor. Figured it was from the cask the port was agreed in.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
If you want pipe tobacco that is similar to a cigar (cedar wise) you would need to buy whole leaf( Burley would probably work best), shred it and place it into a Spanish cedar box for a week or two. I do not think commercial tobacco would work as it is already laden with chemicals which would probably impede the tobacco from picking up any more flavorings such as from the mild gaseous exchange of cedar from the wood.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Go here and click on the pull down menu for cigar tobaccos...you could get yourself a whole leaf and shred it yourself. That said, I have to agree with hoosier above. Been smoking cigars for 30 years, and never really tasted cedar, although my cigars in the humidor smell 'cedary' simply because the humidor is spanish cedar.
Whole Leaf Tobacco Co

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
I have been thinking about getting whole cigar leaf and shredding it. This only confirms my suspicion that this is potentially a fruitful endeavor.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
This only confirms my suspicion that this is potentially a fruitful endeavor.
I think it would definitely be a cool thing to try to be honest. A little expensive for an "experiment" (probably just under $100 for a pound of filler, binder, and wrapper tobacco), but if you have some money to take a chance with, it could be fun. That said, if it doesn't taste "right" in a pipe, you could always just roll your own with the remaining tobacco. (To be honest, my guess is that it won't taste quite "right" simply because much of the cigar taste you get comes from the wrapper coming in contact with your lips, which you won't get with a pipe; but, you could always put a small piece of wrapper in your mouth while you smoke the pipe to get the same effect, sounds weird, but theoretically, it could work.)

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
It's such a common flavor for people to find, maybe your body chemistry doesn't pick it up?
With regard to this observation, I think what happens is people hear what someone has arbitrarily called a "cedar" flavor, but was really simply a peppery background combined with the scent of a cedar humidor...the olfactory senses can be quite deceiving. Even though I primarily only smoke two brands now, I've gone through literally dozens upon dozens of other brands, all of them moderate to top of the line cigars (e.g., Davidoff's) and have never actually tasted a cedar flavor. But, everyone is indeed different.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I used to be a big cigar guy but since I have switched to pipes full time, I don't miss cigars at all. I have found the depth of flavors in pipe tobacco is much greater than in a cigar.
When I first began my pipe smoking journey I smoked some Escudo. This one blend showed me how good a pipe can be. I wouldn't look for cigar flavors in pipe tobacco, I would just enjoy the multitude of flavors that pipe tobacco offers.
Here is a list of blends you might enjoy that are readily available.

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Escudo

Capstan Blue Flake

Savinelli Doblone d'Oro

Aug 14, 2012
You might get it by aging tobacco long term in a cedar lined humidor. Be aware that cigars will kill you much faster than a pipe.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
As another former cigar smoker, I echo the sentiments of those above. I will add the some Latakia blends I've had in the past remind me of some cigars, especially some well aged Sam Gawith's Balkan Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.