PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2013
I just tried my first bowl of Escudo. It was great. Piquant but not too much. Just the right amount of vitamin N.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
It is a great smoke, I had the same response when I first tried it. Someone gave me the same advice regarding aging and boy is it true. This blend gets unbelievable with age.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
You know, when I first tries fresh escudo, I didn't care for it.
Then I tried it with about 6 months of age and yeah...yummy.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Easily the best VaPer ive ever had the pleasure of puffing on.
I have around 15 in my cellar, and usually crack one into my rotation every couple of months.
Warren

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I love Escudo as well, but I'm a bigger fan of Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls.

Now I know I just opened a big can-o-worms, but I DO believe there is a difference!
To me, and others (I'm not alone in this), Dunhill DNR is on the sweeter "stewed fruit" side of Perique, whereas Escudo leans towards the "peppery" side of Perique. They are both top notch Va/Pers, but I give DNR a slight edge over Escudo, for my tastes anyway.
I do cellar both, by the way, but DNR tins outnumber Escudo in my cellar by about 3 to 1.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
After a failed attempt at Dunhill Royal Yacht, I immediately ran for my Escudo. It just makes everything better :) It's one of my go to baccys

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Had my first bowl of it this very eve! Delicious, I'll need conduct more rigorous research (by smoking) to determine if its overtaken my favorite Virginian of Orlik Golden Slice.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Reading this thread got the mental gears turning - I could almost hear the Escudo I have aging calling out to me - temptation over-rode common sense and at 2am while I should have been sleeping, I folded and stuffed a couple of discs of well-aged Escudo into a 1930's era KBB Yello-bole apple and enjoyed some middle-of-the-night bliss ... thankfully, it's Sunday, so I can sleep in and even add an afternoon nap if worst comes to worst ...
thanks for the inspiration ...

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Not a big fan of PS Luxury Bulls eye.
This is what I was worried about because I wasn't impressed with LBF either. I've yet to open my Escudo but was worried they would be similar. I like the flavor in LBF, it just wasn't strong enough.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I do enjoy LBF, its affordable and tasty. I do agree though, it lacks that nice clean peppery taste of Escudo.
I generally dont mind basic VA/BUR's, so I have a nice big jar of LBF thats been there for over 6 months, and gets cracked open to refill a rotating tin every month or so. It seems to be getting tastier with some age, and pretty much ready to rub out and pack with no drying time.
I find that I get more flavour and less relights with some drying time with Escudo.
Warren

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
LBF is best with some age on it in my opinion. I have some that is about 1.5 years old and it was way better than fresh. I have nearly 2 lbs stashed away. I haven't tried Escudo yet. I have about 10 tins waiting to pop open from about a year ago. I love enjoy VaPers and from what I read I had to get some. I add a tin in every order I make just to cellar it. One VaPer that is underrated in my opinion is 4noggins Praire Wind. That is yummy stuff.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
I like LBF too, but liked it a lot better with the center popped out like Cosmic said. I'll pick some Escudo up one day, but am still footdragging so far. It sounds like I'd like it very much (and maybe that's why I haven't yet). I love Virginia but since she showed up at my place a few years ago with her spicy cousin from down South it's been nothing but threesomes.

On a side note, I recently tried 4Noggins' Prarie Wind because Cortez recommended it and wow! That is a great plummy sweet perique on the other end of the spectrum, so to speak. Tasted it in the front of my mouth instead of the back of my mouth and throat the way I do with white pepper or with with a peppery perique.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've been in love with Escudo for a number of years, the boldest VA/Perique that I've smoked. Though I can enjoy a moderately flavored blend, I love most those with full-flavor, and Escudo is certainly that.
I've aged both the A.C. Peterson and Orlik versions very successfully, but not as yet the STG version. We shall see, but I'm sure that it should do well. The only difference I perceive is the STG topping.

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
I also like the Prarie Wind but will age it for a while before smoking it again. I have Escudo on my list.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Never tasted it but will be passing J&R's tomorrow and if I find a tin I'll give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.