PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
The first time I tried Escudo I was fortunate to have been offered a 30-year aged one. It really opened my eyes and taste buds. It was the single most enjoyable pipe experience yet. I have since bought my own tins and it is still my favorite tobacco. Like me, it does get better with age!

Mar 1, 2014
Given how much I love SG St. James Flake, Escudo is definitely going to be in my next order.
I'm guessing it's no coincidence that the VaPer seems to be both the most highly prized blend of all, and something that's almost immediately enjoyable for someone new to Pipe smoking.

Better than your average aromatic without being an aromatic.

Mar 1, 2014
I just had my first bowl of Escudo, and placed an order for 250g of St. James Flake.
Escudo is every bit as good as I expected, but St. James is sold in bulk. I have to tip my hat to Samuel Gawith.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I've always loved the big VA/Perique kick of Escudo. It takes no prisoners. Although Dunhill Navy Rolls are said to be different, and certainly the coins are thicker, I can't tell the difference, and with a $3.00 price difference, I'm sticking to Escudo.
Any of you notice the topping since STG acquired Escudo? It's subtle but I would say there, both to the nose and in the smoke.

lockdown199

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 28, 2013
I'm in the Escudo club. I did buy some Stokkebye Luxury Bulls Eye Flake on a recommendation from a friend, I was told it's the fruitier version of Escudo.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I thought Haddo's Delight was the fruity version of Escudo. And since nobody mentioned it yet, I thought I would.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
I tried ordering it on my monthly TAD.It was on back order at the time.But im on a quest to get a tin or two or three.So long as the wife doesn't find out.She thinks im a tobacco tin cap.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
Escudo and Dunhill Navy Rolls are great, but hard to get here. In LBF, which is available readily, I hate the BC center, so I pop it out and give it to a friend, who grinds them, and smokes whatever with it.

plumbersdope

Lurker
Mar 10, 2013
I have a tin of Escudo with over a year on it when I tried it the fresh I didnt care for it so much. I am hoping with age it will be much better. Has anyone tried Newminster No. 403 superior round slices? I like Stokkebye but they give me the worst tongue bite so I cant smoke them. :( So I have been looking at Newminster 403 I really enjoy the coin cut, plugs, ropes and flakes.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Tried Escudo again for my third time. For some reason, it has very little flavor to me. Might be my palate or maybe the fact I've been rubbing it out to pack. I guess I'll try folding next time to see if I get more from it. I bought 2 tins... Maybe I'll let one age for a year or so if I don't get good experience from first tin.

Mar 1, 2014
Apatim, what do you think of the aftertaste?

That seems to be one of my favourite things about a good VaPer, it's almost as much a reason to smoke it as the smoke itself.

For example, yesterday I had a bowl of MacBaren Scottish, and the day before a bowl of slightly aged FVF. Even this afternoon I could still taste the MacBaren Scottish, a sort of smokey flavour (not something I like a whole lot), whereas the "day after" taste of the aged Virginia was more creamy. I'm amazed that these flavours stick around for so long.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Every time I smoke a bowl of Escudo I almost start a thread with this title. Had to check just to make sure I am not losing my mind. I love Escudo!

joeray

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2014
Indonesia
I also like Escudo, and i had finished 2 tins but lot of senior pipe smokers nowaday Escudo is not as good as old time Escudo...

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
I find Escudo to be reliably good. Can't comment on the difference between in and Dunhill DNR. I would like to try the Luxury Bullseye Flake.

jhhicks

Lurker
Jul 3, 2013
Indiana
Big VaPer fan, and Escudo is at the top of the list. I love the tangy punch from the perique in this blend. Pipesandcigars.com has it on sale right now too! :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Being a cigar smoker for over 20 years Escudo was the blend that opened my eyes to how great pipe smoking could be. I have smoked it consistently since 2000 and still love it.
I am also in the camp that believes the Dunhill DNR is a sweeter less peppery blend than Escudo and stock a lot of that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.