PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Besides some classic horror for Halloween, the most recent ones have been 3:10 to Yuma and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Both on Criterion Blu-Ray. I'll have to check out Boeing Boeing, thanks.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I love TCM and own more B&W movies than any 29 y/o probably should. Being a huge horror fan, all October I watch horror movies, most of which are 30+ years old, including all the Universal classics: Dracula, The Wolf Man, Frankenstein, The Creature From The Black Lagoon, etc. Hell, even silent movies like Nosferatu and The Hands of Orlak.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Cary Grant is my favorite actor of all time still.
But Harvey, with Jimmy Stewart is my favorite film.
I LOVE the chemistry between Myrna Loy and William Powell in all their films, highlighted by The Thin Man films.
But Ms. Loy also rocked with CG in Mr. Blanding!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Gotta love the classics! My favorite genre is classic Sci-Fi, such as The Forbidden Planet, but I also love watching classic Mystery/Suspense, Creature Features, Horror, Romance and Comedy. You just can't beat them!

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
For me….I sill get tears and choked up when I watch Gregory Peck's "To Kill a Mockingbird."
"From the Black Reverend, "Stand up boy, your father's passin."

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Night of the Hunter is a stone cold classic.
I love old noir films, The Killing and The Asphalt Jungle are two superb examples of the genre.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Indeed Sablebrush, given how wonderful Laughton was in front of the camera it is a pity that he didn't get to do more directional work.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I'm a classic movie buff, too. Jimmy Stewart is my favorite actor. Anatomy of a Murder is a really good serious Stewart film. I also really like James Cagney in Angels with Dirty Faces. Brando in On the Waterfront is excellent. Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke is another favorite. I could go on and on. I'll tell ya though, they just don't make movies like those anymore, unfortunately. Back then they relied on a good script and great acting. These days it seems its the same unoriginal stories over and over with a lot of special effects, explosions, and sex.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@wayneteipen, they said the same things about those "classic" movies when they were in theaters the first time around. History of arts have a way of being a bit retroactive with their love. A stinker of yesteryear is a classic today. Also genre fans have their own way of lookin at things. Objectively horror movies are usually bad, but as a genre fan I can appreciate them as "great" and "classic" evaluating them exclusively within their own genre.
I own an extensive spaghetti western collection, horror movies, noir (Bogart rules that world). A lot of my favorite movies predate myself (1985). They don't make them like they used to, but there are still plenty of good movies today. Hollywood and the movie industry have cranked out forgettable movies as long as the cameras have been rolling. For example, Vincent Price was making multiple movies in the span of weeks where from start to finish a film was completed in 15 days and another began with most of the same crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.