PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Hang in there bro. I am on my second year of unemployment and just landed a part time gig. I have heard nothing but ," you are over qualified." or " Thank you for your interest" Then of all places my sons school posted a position in the send home news letter. I have been volunteering for a week so they already knew me.
My only advice is get up every day and send out resumes for a few hours, network with people you know. Maybe even volunteer just to get out of the house. It is a rough job market but try and stay positive. Negativity never helps so do some thing every day that makes you smile. Even if it is walking the dog, smoking your pipe or flying a kite with your kids.
My fingers are crossed for you to find some thing soon.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Sorry to hear that. Hope you find something new soon.
In the mean time, as others have said, have a drink, smoke a pipe and remember... you are not defined by your work. Your career does not define who you are as man, a father or a husband. You do.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Thats sucks man.... You know I've been out of work for a year, thankfully no one depends on my income to eat.

I got tired of looking for a job, so I'm making my own.

Best of luck brother.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Well, I have some curse words that would make our mods blush
That, I'd like to see. I'm not easily offended, and I'd love to see someone make ME blush with curse words. Obviously, not here as it breaks forum rules, but feel free to PM me your worst. I can take it.
Sorry to here that you lost your job, Ryan. I agree that it sound like they were playing the corporate D-bag game. Keep them long enough to get some good work out of them and make them think they'll be hired, then let them go. I will second the volunteering angle. Network and pound-pavement in the morning and volunteer in the afternoon. It looks good on a resume, and it shows that you weren't just sitting at home on the dole.
Keep your chin up. Something is headed your way on the horizon.
Oh, and smoke it up while your off. Nothing like starting a day of resume writing with a good cup o' joe and a tasty pipe.
-Jason

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I've been there. I can empathize. I won't go into details because some of those days I don't care to remember.
During those times, I came up with three indefatigable truths:
1. The universe has a tendency to right itself when it goes off course;

2. Desperate times are often veiled chances for creative opportunity;

3. No one can take away my damned birthday.
Hang in there, bro, and keep the faith. And remember, if doors don't open, put on your heaviest set of boots and kick a hole through the wall to make one of your own.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
If you're going through hell, keep going.

Winston Churchill

It's shameful that we live in a society that values money more than people.
To echo what others have said - Don't let the blues take over.
Hard times don't last forever. How you react to the circumstances may affect your future more than the circumstances themselves. Hang in there.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Very sorry to hear it...hang in there...hope things turn around quickly for you.
It's part of a much bigger picture...a simple equation actually: (Land of prosperity, opportunity and strong middle class) + (ship all manufacturing overseas) = no more prosperity, opportunity or middle class. So elementary it almost makes you think it must have been done intentionally...naaww, couldn't be.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
It's like losing a lover, your morn the loss until you find another and realize your better off.
"Why do we fall, so we learn to pick ourselves back up."

Thats right, i quoted batman, I'm a nerd what do you expect.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Sorry to hear that my friend. I can relate to what you're going through though. At my employer they have done some of the same thing, hiring new people part time, and then letting full time employees that have been there for years go. Also, my G/F has been OOW for three years now,and has had very little success in finding anything promising. All you can do is keep on hunting, and making do with what you have. I know how bad it can be. I'm trying to support three on a Walmart wage myself.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Sorry to hear that - good luck to you. Things are better than they were three years ago, but it still aim't good.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Man that stinks. Keep the faith and stay sharp, something will come up and you'll be right there to grab it. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.