PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
So yea, the title says it all, I worked on a contract for them for half a year, then in December they brought me on as a manager, today, eight days before my probation ends they canned me with no reason. As the sole financial supporter for my family, I am very worried about the future right now.
Fuck. My. Life.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That ain't right!! Sorry to hear it! Hope something opens up for you soon!

Jul 12, 2011
I hear ya brother, I was OOW for almost a year before landing something
My advice; keep your head up, pound the pavement every day

and like OTD says drink a brew/smoke a pipe and stay calm...

as I used to recruit as well, people can sense tension so give

them none and you will do your best during the interview process

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Hate to hear it, I was oow 6 months last year myself. Hope another (better one) comes around soon.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I hope you bounce back stronger and you can thumb your nose at the dopes that fired you. Or, as might be more appropriate, salute them with one finger.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Well, I have some curse words that would make our mods blush, so you can imagine them for yourself.
But yeah, that happened to Shaun a little over a year ago too. He was OOW for 8 months and finally got hired on as a contractor at this great little company and just a couple weeks ago was hired on permanent. It's a lot less money but it's also a lot closer to home and he's actually happy when he gets home from work. IMO, it's a great thing that he got laid off.
And you still have your experience and your talent. They can't take that from you. Until then, keep calm and carry on. ;) *hugs*

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Looks like that WAS the reason. no permanent position, no benefits. Welcome to the world of corporate fuckbaggery.
Yup. That's what happened at Shaun's company too but he'd been there almost 10 years. They had the vested employees train a new batch of folks, then once they were up and running they cut out almost every person with a high salary. They're just playing the wage slave game.
My Dad knows a guy who has worked for the same company for 25 years - 5 different times. Right before he would become eligible for a pension and full benefits, they would can him. THEN they would hire him back at a lower pay rate and start him all over again...

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Sorry to hear that, my girlfriends dad just lost his job two months ago, its a hard time

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
Dude I know the feeling. After I got out of the Army and healed up because my disability no one would hire me, or the would and then fire me after 90 days.But I finally got a job at John Deere.

rafterman

Might Stick Around
Apr 19, 2011
I'm sorry to hear that. We just had 4 ppl laid off at my firm, though, managment calls them "staffing modifications" , that insults my intellegence. Stay calm, carry on.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I'm sorry to hear that. We just had 4 ppl laid off at my firm, though, managment call them "staffing modifications" , that insults my intellegence. Stay calm, carry on.
We call them reorganization, and every December I hold my breath... At least people are hiring more now, good luck out there!

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
Wow, I see I'm unfortunately not alone in unemployment.
no permanent position, no benefits. Welcome to the world of corporate fuckbaggery.
It's not just corporate.
I lost my job with the National Guard when I deployed because I was a temp. technician. While deployed, they had a more stable position open up in my shop. I applied for it. It was the same thing I'd done fr three years before deployment and very close to what I was doing on deployment. They hired someone with out the training or the MOS. They were nice enough to bring me back on for a few months, til money ran out.
So my wife found a small business we could still afford to take over in April and I'm retiring from the Guard. Let 'em stick that in their pipe and smoke it!
I really hope everyone whose looking finds something. For an economy that's supposed to be improving things sure seem to suck for a lot of people right now. I know buying yourself a job isn't usually an option. I just happen to have the stars line up right.

Status
Not open for further replies.