PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
So I was browsing through Smoking Pipes’ estate drop today and went straight to the English pipes. I saw that they had a 1966 Dunhill churchwarden for $145.

The pipe had a charred rim and was over-reamed to the point of looking to have a cracked chamber. But still, it seemed to be an awesome price.

I looked at the pipe, considered buying it, and then left, and came back only to find the pipe had already been sold. How long had these estate pipes been up? Maybe four minutes? I was really surprised, and then I regretted not buying it. But then again, Smoking Pipes must know that the pipe must have been worn to be that price. I will find another Dunhill churchwarden, right? RIGHT? Please help me, guys, I have feelings of regret and missing out. Tell me I made the right decision by not buying it. (Haha)

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
If the price is too good to be true, you're probably getting a problem. Over reamed pipes would be a no go for me. Even worse if it had a cracked chamber. I think you made the right move.

Reactions: diamondback

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think you dodged a bullet. "Carbonized bowl" is a polite was of saying that the walls of the chamber are charred. When you look at the pipe you can see the crazing. It can be addressed, after a fashion, but in general, I'd pass with no regrets. I don't demand perfection, but I have very strict limits. A charred chamber is one of them.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Some of my favorite pipes came to me with a chamber like that, including a Dunhill Shell I got from Smokingpipes for a measly $125, due to the same reason. Slow, careful smoking, and five years later the pipe is doing just fine. I’d have bought that churchwarden, although, I think you’ll see another one around and not for much more. Don’t worry!

Reactions: vates

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Chamber Carbonizing.......more like chamber is AFU. Worn finish, stem(?)...I wouldn't touch it with a 10 inch Churchwarden. Remember, you buy it, you smoke it...it's yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.