PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
I keep a humidor full of my favorite cigars and had all but forgot about them since I got back into a pipe about a year ago.......almost that is. I played golf with a buddy yesterday and took a stick along for each of us during the round. I honestly forgot how much I enjoyed the smell and flavor of a good cigar until we lit them up with a whiskey drink around the #5 tee box. I'm having my second in a long while tonight with a good glass of scotch and thinking about how much money it's going to cost me to maintain both hobbies through the rest of my life. I usually enjoy a pipe more because of the cost, but I don't know that I can compare it to a cigar. In my opinion each has its own appropriate time and place and the flavors, smells, and sensations are entirely different from each. I guess my question is do any of you here spend as much time with a cigar in your hand as a pipe?

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Cigars have just never really "grabbed" me. I'll try one every couple of years & invariably finish it with the conclusion that it's not for me...

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Yes, I have 6 humidors (four 100 count, one 500 count, and a 20 count humidor) currently in service along with a large cellar (14+lbs) of baccy for my pipes.. Lately, I have been smoking my pipes more than cigars, but since colder weather is coming on, I will probably switch back to smoking cigars more often. Don't get me started on how much money I have spent in the last year on both.. Let's just say the wifey definantly chimes in from time to time on "what more cigars?", or "More Tobacco?". Luckily, she hasn't seen most of the pipes I have purchased come in since she works 8-5. I try to beat her to the mailbox, especially when I know my purchases are coming in...

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
No. I smoked cigars exclusivel for a number of years, and then cut way back after I rediscovered my pipe. I can enjoy a cigar, but I am much more of a pipe guy then a cigar guy.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I bet a year of aging was pretty nice. I've been smoking cigars since about '97. Since march of this year it's been all about pipes. Never kept the 50 count humidor full but I have about 8 that I need to revive. Just have to get a few more to fill the 20 count humi.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
No more cigars here....Too expensive & I never enjoyed the constant maintenence. I think the quality has gone down as the prices went up. Nothing worse than getting a bad draw on a $6 cigar. Poof, ruined. Both cigar humidors full of pipes. I understand CAD though. You can never have too many cigars. Enjoy those stogies. :?

fireman03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
I do and probably always will love cigars over pipes. I can detect the subtleties in cigar flavor that I am unable to do with a pipe, yet. I'm sure in time that will change, but if I had my choice of one or the other, I'm going with the cigar.
I have a 4500 count humidor, dresser style. It sits empty at the moment, as I have gone all In with pipes.

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
you guys are hard core for the amount of cigars ya keep! i just get a handful now and then haha. i was back to cigars for most of the summer but now that the fall is here ive came back to pipes, waiting on a TAD now.

fireman03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
Yup, I have issues. :? I tend to I over with baccy sometime, or rather most of the time.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I got into cigars a bit starting last year. My first experience was a rather strong Rockey Patel which really put me off. Then my fiance picked up a cheap $3 basket cigar at a shop in San Diego on vacation and so I amused her with trying it. Believe it or not I actually enjoyed that $3 cigar. So I jumped into the CAO cigarillos and then moved into cigars with similar leaf combinations. I do enjoy a CAO Gold or Cameroon or Criollo now and again, but I'll never get a humidor over a 50 count. Much prefer the pipes as an every day smoke.

fireman03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
A common mistake I found with new cigar smokers is they get the little cigarillo type cigar thinking they will be smooth. The truth is the bigger the more smoother with stoogies. Those little dudes smoke hot and harsh.

oldshacker

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2012
I am what you might call a seasonal cigar smoker. I have been known to light up the little things on special occasions. Summer is cigar time and if needed pipe acquiring and maintenance. On the other hand winter is a good time for pipe enjoyment for me. Winter is also a time that my new cigars age or whatever you call it.

Oldshacker

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was a huge cigar guy for over 25 years but gave it up back in 09. I was pipes and cigars starting in 2000 and loved them both. I gave up both the cigars and pipes in 09 and came back to pipes back in May. I have no desire to smoke cigars anymore, they are just too expensive for what you get, I would rather buy nice pipes that last forever. At the time this picture was taken, I had about 3000 cigars in my cabinet and 95 percent were Cuban.
MyCabinet.jpg

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
I'll have a cigar every once in awhile, but i don't keep any on hand. I just go buy one when I feel the need. I also smoke nothing but cigars during family reunions! It's just a family thing. My pipes on the other hand get regular attention.

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
holy hell Harris! id be dead in 2 weeks if i had that setup haha id be chainsmoking non-stop. that is one serious humidor!

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
ya i've been getting more into cigars as of lately. I've been finding them more "convenient' at times when i don't feel like drying the tobacco, rubbing out and packing. And to me, being a younger guy, I feel that a cigar is more "socially acceptable" as in i'll get less stares and questions about "what im smoking in my pipe". Plus, more of my friends are willing to smoke a cigar with me over a pipe.
Living in Canada has it perks when it comes to Cubans. Pretty much all smoke shops have a vast array of Cubans to choose from.
But i agree with all said above. It is much ore expensive to smoke cigars over pipes.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I bought a few cigars last spring so I could make some pipe mud. But somehow I can't bring myself to smoke them.

I always just grab a pipe when I want a smoke and if I smoke a cigar, I'll miss out on my pipe for the evening.
I guess I'm just a piper.
I'm sure Kevin would want you to visit Cigar Chronicles if you aren't already members over there.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Not my cup of tea. If I'm going to spend the amount of money it takes to get a good cigar I'd rather put it into curing my chronic case of PAD and TAD. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.