PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
2 nights ago I usually put Buddy out around 9 or 10 pm for his squirt, floodlights come on as we walk towards front of old house but the inside corner towards our bedroom is dark, as I round the corner Buddy goes apeshit, runs off the porch, something black runs toward me, brushes against my leg and is gone at the blink of an eye. I get Buddy inside, wife and son come out of their bedrooms and they say WOW SKUNK! Luckily I wasn’t hosed but I feel that dark thing that brushed against my leg was a SKUNK! Taking clothes off and chunking them on back porch. Wife says everything goes in washing machine, next day it was a wholesale wash and scrub. I was lucky Buddy wasn’t sprayed, also myself, brushing against was bad enough!

Good grief!! We have one that walks through the garden each night, and we can smell him, but we have yet to see but glimpses of him. We consciously don't let the dogs out at dusk, to give him time to make his way out of our yard.

I was sprayed once as a kid, throwing rocks at one. I learned pretty quick the range one of them po-cats. My grandmother scrubbed us down with buttermilk, and it wasn't very fun.

• Haha
Reactions: voorhees

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
We have a black and white cat, so always on our toes;)
Glad he did not get you!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Camping at the far western edge of N.C., the state park ranger warned us about skunks, that they would visit, and it was up to us not to get excited or to get them excited. As we sat on our folding chairs by our igloo tent but still in daylight, sure enough, a whole parade of skunks, several adults and a string of kits/cubs, whatever they are called, came in single file, as casual and ceremonious as you please. Clearly, they knew we'd been briefed and would take full advantage of the situation. They did not march by, but tottered in a line right under the legs of the folding chairs and our legs. Sure enough. We looked at each other, turning our head slowly and carefully, and observed the procession. Apparently nothing smelled so wonderful as to bring them back later that night, or at least that was the last we saw of them. They had a lot of campers to visit before the night was over. If they had taken to spraying, I believe I'd still be scented.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We have raccoons right here at home ... of course and who doesn't? The last one was a slob and threw the edibles from the garbage all over the ground. Now we have a tidy customer who picks a neat little hole in the top of the garbage bag and samples only what is tasty, quite the civilized customer. Two of our three rescue cats are mostly Maine Coon, but no relation.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Oh no!! Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda plus a little dishwashing soap like dawn!! Our dog got it bad in the back yard a few months back and this worked after a few washings.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Yeah, got 2 outside cats that have food bowl on the front porch next to the door. They are apparently very good friends with 1 trash panda and 2 20lb possums. The cats invite them over for dinner and I know this because the cats are right next to them. Walk out that front door after 9:00 pm and you do so at your own risk:ROFLMAO:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you're traveling by car, especially at night, you hit these skunk zones and sometimes they go for a few miles. That's weaponry with range.

Reactions: kurtbob

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We had a similar experience with skunks at Watkins Glen State Park in NY several years ago, but no one warned us. After being visited by several, we just ignored them. But in the dark, we heard screams from other campers throughout the night.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The other creature I encountered at my trouser cuff as my wife and I were admiring the stars at a Long Island winery turned out to be a big friendly winery orange cat who probably smelled my cats on my cuffs. He knew a cat guy and we were immediate friends.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
When walking home from second shift in the wee hours of the morning in Kennebunk, ME, and more often when there was snow on the ground, once I crossed the bridge to the South side of the Mousam River I would often come across two to three skunks somewhere along the road during those last few blocks of walking.
One time I had to wait a few minutes standing across the street from my house for a skunk to finish sniffing at whatever it had found interesting on the ground in front of my door.
Had a co-worker who lived out on Wells Beach, who had to get an exterminator to come to her house every spring to trap and relocate the skunks who would take up residence at that time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, I'd like to hear how you trap a skunk without getting blasted, not that I'd want to try it.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
We've had a couple of instances where a skunk sprayed outside while we were sleeping with the windows open. Personally, never been sprayed, but that is close enough.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Judging from all the splats in the middle of the roads around here, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that our skunks are just a tad slower than the skunks in the rest of the country...especially, during mating season.

They sure don't like to look both ways!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Judging from all the splats in the middle of the roads around here, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that our skunks are just a tad slower than the skunks in the rest of the country...especially, during mating season.

They sure don't like to look both ways!
We have the same issue here with Porcupines. There is at least a couple dead ones on the road every day on the way to work. Goddamn things move about 0.5 miles an hour at an all out waddle.

Thankfully they don't smell like a hot garbage doobie dipped in shit like skunks do when they get pancaked.

Skunks are on the Hall of Fame list of things not found in Alaska, right up there with snakes, poisonous spiders, ticks, and Kardashians.

Reactions: Spa32 and kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.