PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I smoke cigarettes at work because I don't have a car so I usually don't have anywhere to keep my pipe. I work at McDonalds, so I don't want to keep it in the store and have it smell like McDonalds. Well the other day I went out for a smoke, and when I came back my manager told me "You're young you need to quite while you can, blah blah blah". Basically the same thing everyone says to me about smoking. My response was "I usually smoke a pipe, but it isn't practical at work". She responded with "The pipe is fine. I love the smell of pipe tobacco". I thought it was pretty cool that she said pipe smoking is fine.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
That is pretty cool, I would definitely just bring one, maybe a cob, in to work. I doubt if you kept it away from the cooking stuff, it would smell.
I would go for it, maybe pre pack it at home, and wrap the bowl in tin foil, and just bring the pipe

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I doubt if you kept it away from the cooking stuff, it would smell.

You would be surprised. I have a hoodie I take to work. After one 8 hour day it smells like grease. and its in the break room, which isn't really by the grill or frier. The grease taints everything.

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
Unless you're rolling your own with tobacco that hasn't been poisoned with all the crap that Phillip Morris puts in their cigarettes, you should quit. Stick with the pipe.
There's no equating the two. Cancer sticks are no substitute for good, clean tobacco.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Yeah, cigs suck but I understand why you smoke them. A couple of them a day won't do you that much harm, but I agree you should keep a cob or even a small meerschaum with you at work. You could always put it and the tobacco inside a Ziplock bag to protect it from the odors while you're working.
Maybe two bags, one inside the other, would work just to be sure.

terry

Oct 7, 2011
Maybe you could keep you pipe wrapped in a rag inside a ziplock bag at work. :puffy:

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Uber, try a MM Pony
http://tobaccopipes.com/missouri-meerschaum-pony-express-corncob-tobacco-pipe/
under $5 and takes about as long as a cig smoke break to finish. I dig mine...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Ok, let me just make sure I have this straight...she manages a McDonald's, and she's lecturing you about health issues?

adam12

May 16, 2011
Ok, let me just make sure I have this straight...she manages a McDonald's, and she's lecturing you about health issues?
Exactly... like she has a healthy lifestyle. As a manager, she is singlehandedly responsible for obesity, heart disease, and diabetes. She's worse than a drug pusher hanging out at an elementary school.
I say tell her to pound sand and fire up a pipe on your way out the door

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
Nothing wrong with your manager: The pipe is fine, cigarettes aren't. She may know someone who had lung cancer and wants to discourage you from doing something she believes is unsafe. If she didn't care about you, she probably wouldn't have said anything. They've been calling cigarettes "coffin nails" the past 100 years for good reason. Cigarettes don't kill everybody, but they sure do take their toll. I buried my mom last October: stage 4 lung cancer caused by smoking cigarettes for half a century. I've never smoked a cigarette, and I never will. I've enjoyed a pipe for the last 10 years, and I'm convinced the calming effect it has on me has made me healthier. Sorry to preach to you, but you really should keep your pipe and tobacco in a ziplock bag and toss away the cigarettes.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I usually tell people that the only thing more dangerous than smoking is not minding their own business. That generally shortens the conversation.

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
I must be missing something. It sounds to me like the boss gave him some good advice. What's so bad about that?

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
cigarettes are no better no worse than a pipe
Are you insane? Cigarettes are WAY worse than pipes. Or rather, the poison IN the cigarettes is way worse than pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.