PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
As the title says, I finally found an RV that was worth gutting and refurbishing (to my own standards) and one that was worth the price. The seller told me that he was not selling me an RV; he was selling me an engine and trans and the coach comes with it. :)
It's a 28ft 1988 LaSalle by Champion (metal frame, not wood) with 41,000 miles, 454 Turbo, great sounding engine and transmission is also in good shape. It needs a carb kit from sitting for a year, but that should be an easy fix.
It was bought by the seller brand new in 88, sold to his son who treated it like garbage. It was returned with 2 of the car batteries missing, as well as the fridge removed, range top nasty, microwave removed, carpet in horrible shape (thanks to a dog who lived in it for 10 years) as well as numerous other non-niceties.
Everything is being gutted out. Im putting a partition directly behind the cabin, with a pocket door for access. The shower is being replaced with a galvanized water trough, which will be moved directly behind the driver seat, with tiled wall and floor. It will be open access,and the only walled room will be the composting toilet with full ventilation, which I will locate directly behind the passenger seat.
A single pot-filler faucet will supply water to both the kitchen sink as well as the tub. The flooring throughout will be a bamboo floor. It should only be a 120 sqft or so, and Im sure I might can find some at a bargain price. I plan on a slideout deep-freeze under the cabinet, with a 6cuft fridge above it on. I have a plug-in toaster oven and range-top, so I will not need any room for those installations, saving precious sqft.
The bed will be on a 36" platform, giving me space for 2 slideout closets, a slideout shelf system as well as a slideout computer desk. All can be hidden away when moving or when company comes over.
Rounding out the additions will be a self-made rocket-stove to heat the place in the colder months. Converting one of the outer access storage bays into a firewood storage accessible from the inside.
I have my work cut out for me, but this is going to be a fun challenge. Pics can be found if you follow the link.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzPFCjWozt4bX1p5QktXRDl5SXM

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Dang! You should pitch this project to HGTV, the Travel Channel and whatever the vehicle-themed cable channel is. Someone would be interested in making a TV show out of it, and I would watch it!
Seriously though, this sounds amazing and I hope you are able to keep us updated with pics throughout the project.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
That sound like its gonna be cool.
I've always wanted one like this, converted to a smoking lounge. Even if it sat in my yard most of the time.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Thanks gentlemen. And that camper above looks marvelous! I could SO call that home.
My original goal was to take a camper trailer and convert it. But when this came across my way, and for only 700 bucks, I couldn't resist it. My ultimate goal is to get a tiny home, and this may very well be a stepping stone. Convert this, sell for profit, buy another, convert, sell, etc. But that is WAY down the road.
But it is good to hear some positive feedback on this. And yeah, I will be posting updates. Unfortunatley, it is currently at my parents, about 45 min south of where I am now, so my weekends will be spend in demolition. Then I will drive it up to a storage yard and work on it from there until it is able to be lived in (working power/water/etc..).

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This looks like the beginnings of a Grand Adventure. Stock it with snacks and machine guns and you're good to go!

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Here is an update on the RV. I was hoping to do weekly updates, but my speed of progress is hampered by the fact that I only have Saturdays in which to work on it, as well as it being 40 minutes away at my parents. So, with only 4-6 hours on weekends, this is where I am at.
However, here are a couple links.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzPFCjWozt4bckNESVlzME14SUk

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzPFCjWozt4benhwb2xEa3Bydm8
As you can see, the RV is now completely emptied of everything. We are removing every 12v wiring and will convert the whole RV to run on 110v. The next phase will be to remove and replace 4 plywood floor sections due to water rot and unneeded holes for piping. I will also be removing the rusted and heavy holding tank for blackwater. Probably replacing that with extra under-floor storage. Also I will need to remove the textured white walls, remove excess wiring, rewire with power outlets/USB, and replace with stained walnut veneer plywood.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Brave project. It will be great or hitting the road and getting a change of scene. Then have the determination to sell it while it's still rolling. You'll have some good times in the meantime.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That's a project and a half! Good on ya'!
What's the material for the original walls? Will you be using marine plywood for the decking?

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
I read the whole thing assuming it was a metaphor for an estate pipe...

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Thanks all.
I am unsure what the original wall material is, but I think it's textured thin plywood. Same materials as the ceiling. The walls are filled with expanding foam. I figure that I will remove the walls and refill any loosened or missing foam. I might also remove and replace the ceiling as well. But I'm unsure at this point.
The decking (i assume you mean the floor) will probably be bamboo flooring. Normally it would be expensive, but with such a small footprint, I wont need to order very much. The back 4 1/2 feet will be a platform bed 3ft off the ground, with 4 slideouts (tobacco shelving, 2 closets and a sliding computer desk). So no need for bamboo under that. And the front area behind the driver's seat will be covered in tile for the 4x2x2 galvanized water trough bathtub.
I figure I still have several months of work before it's complete. I am, however, hoping that here in another month it will at least be livable with completed electrical and plumbing. Once that is done, then everything else will simply be cosmetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.