PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I must say, this thread has enlightened me to some beautiful pipes and their makers that I did know of before.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Aug 14, 2012
Even high quality briar often has flaws. Rustication is a way to save a flawed block. You are right there was no such thing years ago.

seilerjp

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I also seem to prefer a beautiful sandblast or rusticated pipe to a smooth pipe. I believe it is due to our tactile sense of touch. Bill Kotyk and I tried to put it into words that were published in the Pipe Collector several years by NASPC. Check the article "We Like Them Rough" at this spot on Pipedia.net http://pipedia.org/wiki/John_Seiler

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
E8EFAC31-D937-4CAB-B052-9219C11AB56A-1008-000001C90A744963_zpsd64f841e.jpg
. My Cooke.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I prefer blasts, but like the occasional rusticated pipe for the tactile feel.
One of my favorites, a James Upshall, hand feel is terrific.

Sasieni "Rustic" finish pipes have also caught my attention and the artful way the rustification follows the grain.

May 31, 2012
I
  • love
a rusticated then blasted pipe.
Ashton used to do it with the Pebble Shell,

and Brian Ruthenberg does it very well also.
As far as rustication itself goes,

Alex Brishuta does some pretty incredible stuff,

http://smokersmag.com/makers/ukrainian/60-alex-brishuta
But one of my fave rusticators is Tony Fillenwarth and this is the year I'm gonna get him to make me a pipe because his deep rough gnarly look tugs at my heartstrings bigtime!
004-009-5853.jpg

004-009-5853_1.jpg

May 31, 2012
Good to hear Jesse,

I can no longer resist or put it off.
Hopefully he can make me one like the posted pic, I fell in love with it!

:puffy:

May 31, 2012
Since some great examples of Cooke blasts showed up, this video might be relevant to give an idea of just how labor intensive and time consuming the deep blasting is.
This video is from Sergei Senatorov and it provides a great look into the slow going process of it all...

:

:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BpPTlrnqKM

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I have an even number of smooth and rusticated and sandblasted pipes. The Sea Rock is simply an amazing pipe, both in rustication and smoking qualities--it really looks like it was uprooted from submerged volcanic rock. And for pure rustication, take a look at Peterson's Christmas 214 line: I got a bent brandy and a 107 straight billiard from this line. Recently, on reading mso's comment about Stanwells, I ordered the unique black brushed finished billiard #12: if it smokes anything like the Stanwell HCA churchwarden, it will be a terrific buy. Where else can you find a pipe like this for under $50?

jackson1

Lurker
May 28, 2014
United States
I recently received a smooth finish, bent Chacom with excellent smoking characteristics. However, it had a couple of plugs that became increasingly ugly as the pipe darkened. I finally turned it over to a local pipe doctor, who applied a combination rustication and sandblast job which satisfied my aesthetic leanings without harming the smoking quality of the pipe. Oh! Happy day!

May 31, 2012
It's sandblasted.
Here's another blasted example of his, unsmoked, on sale for $828 at an Italian webshop,

http://www.sybaritepipe.com/en/baldo-baldi/23-pipa-baldo-baldi-dublin-sandblasted.html
Serious collectors usually go for the smooths, which are considerably more cash outlay,

like this one, which goes for $2,208,

http://www.sybaritepipe.com/en/baldo-baldi/296-baldo-baldi-grade-4.html
I think his stuff is more hype than anything else, he made some beautiful pipes, but has no appeal to me whatsoever.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Another of my mis-conceptions bites the dust. I've assumed for years that blasted and rusticated pipes were made from inferior briar. :roll:
So, maybe so, maybe not. But mine eyes have seen the glory of well blasted or carved pipes.Some example you've shared have been fabulous.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
WHOA. MLC, that Tony Fillenwarth pipe is AMAZING. It instantly took me into the forests up here in Washington state with our huge Firs and Spruce that has bark just like that.
That guy just sprang right up near the top of my list.
Thanks!

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Although I like a nice grain like every other man I prefer rusticated or sandblasted pipes. I feel that they are simply "more interesting". To say the truth - I am a sucker for rusticated pipes! ;-)

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Even though I have a couple of rusticated pipes (including a sea rock which I'm chomping on the bit to break in) I'm not a huge fan of rustication. To me it seems too arbitrary. I appreciate the artistry in it but to me it obscures the natural characteristics of the briar which I find more interesting. I prefer a blast.
Definitely my opinion however and I'm not about to tell anyone who appreciates a fine rustication that they are wrong!
Even though they are :nana:

Status
Not open for further replies.