PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I really enjoy MacBaren blends. I enjoy others just as much but MacBaren is locally available and if they were all I had to choose from, I could be satisfied. That being said, I was just reading reviews on tobaccoreviews.com and I see quite a few people refer to what is known as "MacBite", "MacBlowTorch", etc. I guess I am lucky. I can smoke Va no 1 like a madman and I don't get bit. There are two blends in the MacBaren line that bite me; Dark Twist and Club Blend. I have tried several of MacBaren's blends and I must say, they are some of the best IMO. Is anyone the opposite? The same?
I tend to believe that a couple of years ago I had no idea what I was doing and that was why I experienced tongue bite or tongue burn most of the time. I have improved on my technique and rarely do I experience it minus a couple of blends that just flat out disagree with me.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Honestly I have the exact same experience as you. I enjoy MacBaren blends very much, but I do find that Dark Twist will bite me if I'm not extremely careful, like right on the edge of the bowl going out careful. I love Old Dark Fired and Burley London and could probably smoke just those two and be very content. I think some people may have a bad reaction to red VA which could very well be present in many of their blends. I think everyone should give them a chance as they are a powerhouse when it comes to blending. I also think McClellend is another blender everyone should try even if they have a ba experience with one or two blends.

Jul 15, 2011
Ive noticed a strange phenomenon with MacBaren blends in that their HH line of blends (Highland, Mature Virginia, and Acadian Perique are the only ones I have tried), cause me FAR less bite than some of their regular line of blends, but even those blends are a mixed bag for me. I can smoke Golden Extra and Navy Flake with little problem unless Im careless, but I have tried Plumcake and Dark Twist and smoking both of those was akin to licking a flaming porcupine.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I have recentlty started smoking HH Old Dark Fire and have yet to get the "MacBite" very smooth and flavorful smoke with a little kick. However I to suffer from the "MacBite" with Dark Twist. I have 16 oz of it. Not sure when I will try to smoke it again.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Yeah it seems that Dark Twist is the worst. I love the flavor but just can't stand to smoke it because of the bite.
I love Old Dark Fired and Burley London and could probably smoke just those two and be very content
Same here man. I am smoking BLB as we speak and had ODF before bed last night. They are both awesome.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I love Mac Baren. I have all of the 7 Seas line bulked up in mason jars and I like Honey & Chocolate, Black Ambrosia, Golden of Denmark, and Original Choice. I've never had the MacBite.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Lordofthepiperings, the Seven Seas Line is IMO, some of the most high quality aro's out there. I love the royal and gold. I'm currently out of both so I need to restock

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
So far, neither have I. I suppose it is like spicy food -- some are more tolerant than others. Coupled, of course, with other variables such as how fast one puffs.
And, MacBaren lends itself to such name changes in a way that, say, Dunhill does not. if you make a quip about MacBite in a post, everyone knows that you mean MacBaren. Make a post on Blowtorchhill and see if anyone gets it.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
I solved my "macbite" issues by smoking them in a churchwarden. There are also longer stems (seven inchers)available for cobs that also do the trick for me. Pre-drying your tobacco seems to also be a factor. Worth a try?

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I'm a lover of HH ODF (ordering 1 lb today) and unless I smoke it like a chimney, I do fine without tongue bite. I can get anything to bite if I go hard enough. I get far more tongue bite from a bulk aromatic than the ODF. Its the only Mac I've tried though (not counting Capstan which is technically now made by them).

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I don't seem to get it either. Now Captain Crap or Barf-em Riff, just looking at those makes my tongue burn like I ate a Jolokia Pepper! Some people are sensitive to certain ingredients due to the make up of our chemistry. What bites one may not bite another. Whenever I'm thinking of trying a new blend I ask around and read reviews and if possible I get a little sample in my order to see what it's like so I'm not wasting my money.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Bought some McB Roll Cake the other day at my B&M, since I had never tried it. And, hey, I'm trying to spread out my reach for different tastes these days.
First bowl of the pretty coins was in a meer. Whanga! After a bowl, I thought my tongue had been attacked by fire ants. I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the tin. Don't think I'm gonna do that again, though.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
The only Mac Baren I have smoked is the "Roll Cake". My dad found an old tin of my grandfathers and it was roll cake. I bought a tin and have been smoking it quite a lot with no bite whatsoever. I love this stuff, some fine tobacco.

B

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Ditto on the Dark Twist roll cake which bites like a crocodile. It is a tasty blend that I will continue to smoke hoping to learn that magical cadence. Never had a problem with the other blends. Most of the negative monikers such as "Macbite" (MacBaren) are seldom true for an entire line of tobacco.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
First Mc Baren a couple days ago, Plumcake, had 4 bowls no bite, damn fine tobbaco.
Plumcake is a great blend. I have some on hand but I really don't favor the latakia blends when it's hot out.

Status
Not open for further replies.