PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I have thought about replacing stems, but I really would rather just move these out and get pipes with the exact type of stem I like. Plus I get to buy new pipes which is way more fun than replacing stems.
Mike, in fact I just put in another commission order with Rad the other day since I am moving a bunch of pipes.
Mustang, that has happened to me with an Ashton I own, the pipe sometimes slips in my teeth and then bang, a pile of ash all over me. I hate that. lol

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I haven't gotten picky about stems (yet), though I definitely prefer some over others-for now I'm just being mindful of differences in how I need to clench. I can say I'm in a similar predicament, as I didn't clench at all in the past and have a few pipes that cannot possibly be clenched due to weight or shape that I hardly ever smoke anymore. Been trying to think of college buddies who would appreciate them.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
erich, it has taken me a decade to get to the point where I think I know exactly what I want in my pipes, I am really hoping that does not change again. When I first began all I wanted was huge pipes with killer grain caring nothing about stems or what the pipe weighed. Now I like them much smaller, sandblasted, have to be under a certain weight and am anal as hell about the stems. I also used to buy all kinds of shapes where now I like around 6-7 different ones. The journey sure has been interesting.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I agree we could go back and forth, and honestly if I was thinking of the least expensive way around this then stem replacement is the way to go. I think though that I really want my collection to be made up of all artisan pipes with the exception of my first pipe my Savinelli, that will never get sold even though I rarely smoke it. I also have come to realize I really only need maybe 30 pipes tops in the collection. I smoke 4-5 a day so if I wanted to rest them each a week after smoking 30 is plenty.

smokeystover

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2012
If you've found a maker and shape that really "clicks" for you, I say go for it. Your experiences seem to mirror mine. I spent decades "collecting" pipes from various makers in various shapes before I learned what I truly like. One day I came to the realization that life was just too short to have pipes in my rack that I avoided smoking for any reason, however minor. A pipe that's too heavy or uncomfortable, or feels or looks slightly odd to you won't ever change on it's own.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I have to admit after smoking my Rad's and the one Ruth, it is getting somewhat harder to reach for some of my thicker stemmed Castello's. I wouldn't sell them though. I can't wait to get back a Dunhill 4109 from Mike over at Walker Pipe Repair. I hate the stem on that one. The pipe smokes great otherwise. Mike is refitting it with a hand cut Cumberland saddle bit stem about 1/2 inch longer than the original Canadian stem which I believe will be a huge improvement. That may be an option for you Harris if you love the Caminetto but would prefer a more comfortable stem. I hear ya about wanting all artisan pipes though. As you know I unloaded six of my pipes that no longer suit me last month. I call dibs on the Occhio (again lol) though if you decide to part with that one. I get the Dunhill back mid July so I will report back sometime the end of this month.
I also appreciate that it only took me a year to find out what I really enjoy smoking because of the excellent advice you have provided Harris. I would rather own one fantastic smoking artisan than four so-so smokers from other manufacturers. As I said , I plan keeping the Castello's as they smoke Wonderfully. If I buy anymore of those, it will have to have a much thinner stem than my thicker white stemmed/black dot Castello.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Harris that definitely sucks.
Luckily as of yet I haven't been ruined by Rad's stems yet so if your looking to sell some pipes I maybe interested in a pipe or 2. lol

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Chris, the Occhi has a thinner stem and even though it is acrylic, it is fairly comfortable. Much more so than the Caminetto, so no way am I getting rid of it, sorry. lol I am actually smoking it right now and I really love this pipe.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Rad's stems have also spoiled me. I still love my Dunhills and one of the reasons is that their pipes are quite light weight (at least the one's I own) and the stems are tapered to a nice thin end.
The Costello I'm smoking now is a little heavy and has a beautifully shaped fishtail stem; but it is acrylic and I sooner or later am going to replace it with a cumberland.
For me, at least so far, no one beats Rad's stems.
Allan

(Rad owes me compensation, too. :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.