PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
That isn't Todd in the video, unless he went downhill fast in the last couple of months, ha ha. Are the people in the video employees of Todd's?
I believe those are the Dagners.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I don't have a dog in this fight. I admittedly skimmed through everything to get the jest of the soapbox Briarworks was on. I guess to me they are not really, to me anyway, fully understanding the market they are in. Because they offer high end factory made pipes they aren't in the same market that the artesian pipes are because it is a totally different product. They see to be kicking sand in a sand box that they are to big to play in.
I strive with every fibre of my being to drive you out of the market and back to the hole whence you came, so that consumers and real pipe makers alike no longer have to suffer the indignity of your existence.

Because of this quote alone I will never buy one of their pipes. This is not the mentality that the pipe smoking community conveys or supports. As such I will spend 500.00 on a turd that a man sat down and turned with his on two hands, put love and thought and time into before I'll spend 150.00 with them. Will they miss my money? Probably not but will the guy I buy from next want my 500.00 you bet your ass..
I will not support a company that openly and publically kicks sand at potential customers, other pipe makers ect. Maybe I like my turd. Maybe my grandfather bought me that turd as a gift. It's different is not perfect but by God its mine. See they forgot they not only pissed on the carvers but also the people that own and enjoy their work. These are the people that have worked overtime to afford a pipe from a "Turd" carver. How dare they say that how I spend my money is somehow beneath their products.
Ok rant over..I'm going to go smoke my chipped, skinned, loose stem Roma now.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I just find it disheartening that every time(at least seems like it) I read about a pipe maker I haven't heard of yet is making more affordable pipes to cater to the working man, I pull them up and they are $100 dollars or more. Too rich for my blood.
I feel like that Ron White standup session where he mentions watching the televangelist ask are you sitting on the couch eating Cheetos...........oh thought he was talking about me for a second.(this would be when I see the price tag)

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I assume these "turd" pipes are the pokers and similar that have such a keen following these days, judging by his remarks about beard oil, beanies and motorbikes.
Not to get off topic, but what is the deal with Pokers and stereotypes about the guys who smoke them?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Are we even reading the same thread? There are several artisan makers with only a handful of years working and several novice makers in the discussion and all are treated with respect and even encouraged. Several of the newer makers of strong reputation are big instagram users and that is not held in low esteem in the discussion either. They went out of their way to say they are talking about pipes they've seen on instagram with poor shaping, visible tool marks and flashing left on premade stems. Further more, it's not those things they are upset with but hucksters trying to pass themselves off as master carvers peddling such work while being in denial that it may be both egotistical and predatory to new smokers to be selling your fourth pipe for $400 while having an entire line of merchandise. Anytime a hobby has a spike in popularity you have opportunists and yes, they can tarnish the hobby for the uninformed. They not only state clearly that new makers and Internet success are not the issue but also dedicate time and effort to helping new makers learn the ropes. I don't see the stance that a guy a week in the business isn't at the top of his craft and might want to wait before attaching a huge price tag to his pipes based on some instagram likes. I have supported some new artisan carvers but I expect the to get my money's worth or I will be disappointed.

Mar 1, 2014
Hopefully this leads to either cheaper pipes or a new line of pipes from Briarworks that isn't a bunch of miniatures.
Really it sounds like I'm not the only one who thinks they're just small pipes.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Flatticus, with all due respect I find it suspicious that these are your first posts. Look up the Etsy thread on this forum to see examples of people selling garbage pipes for high dollars or simply look around the net. I've seen many crap pipes on Instagram after people informed me how many new makers were on it, along with many talented folks who have cultivated the skill for wood working. I've also seen the people who seem to spend more time on the creation of trucker hats than on their pipe making. I am all for new makers and so are the folks on pipemakersforum or they wouldn't have created the resource. Hell, they give King crap all the time for his toilet pipes but it's all in jest and everyone there seems happy for his success. I for one felt the intent of the discussion was clear, if you want to be a pipe maker make then make pipes your focus and continue to improve. Sound advice for any craft.

cubie

Lurker
Dec 6, 2014
Hi, I've been a member for about 2 months but this is my first posting. One of the things I've truly enjoyed and appreciate about this site is the usual kind, friendly and cheerful comments. This whole thread makes me uncomfortable starting primarily with pylorns. Just my opinion.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Cubie, what exactly did pylorns say that is a problem? He has stated almost nothing on this thread.

cubie

Lurker
Dec 6, 2014
daimyo, If I'm not mistaken pylorns started this whole thread and spends much of his time bad mouthing other pipe makers. I don't like that but as I said it's just my opinion.

I am going to have to look, but I don't think I've ever seen pylorns post anything negative about a pipemaker, even on this thread. In fact, I had to read and re-read the whole thing to even figure out what this was thread about.

And, I only took the time to do that, because Todd is from my favorite B&M hang out. And, the weird way his sales rep dealt with my pipe club. Like I had stated, we had high hopes for Todd, and still do. But, posting things like this might be ok for a nobody like one of us, but for someone trying to make it in the business, it's no good at all.

I did not get the same interpretation as Daimyo, because I have heard his own sales guy saying similar stuff in the flesh. But, if I am wrong, then good. That would be great for Todd, but I assume that Todd's statements won't do much to make a sale for him. Just my $.02.

One of the things I've truly enjoyed and appreciate about this site is the usual kind, friendly and cheerful comments
You must have only been reading the "What are you Smoking" threads, because this last few months have been the most aggressive, angry, and nasty posts that I've ever seen on here, ending up in quite a few members leaving. Gladly, I seemed to have made it through all of that with clean hands, ha ha. Which is unusual for me.

cubie

Lurker
Dec 6, 2014
flatticus, you're right. If the first post on this thread was a quote and not a statement by pylorns then I do truly owe and extend him an apology. I should be more careful.

cosmicfolklore, I've spent most of my time on the beginners forum, and the folks there are about as nice as nice can be. Maybe I should stay there.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Michael, I've told you my opinion of those inflammatory threads and how to deal. I just don't post or get worked up over anything stated on forums I am a member. Keeps my blood pressure down.

That aside I don't have an opinion on the pipes of discussion, however your actual experience means more.

I would hope that as with anything, if there is a pipe shape in there that tickles a fancy, then buy it. Heck, I even bought a Peterson dublin, despite what everyone says about them, ha ha.
I'm not even sure exactly what was said on the threads the caused the ruckus. I'm just glad I was minding my own when it all went down.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Flatticus, actually I expressed my distrust and addressed your point. Who are these members who can vouch for you after a few posts? No, I cannot tell from a few posts that you spend lots of time on the internet looking at pipe, how could I? If you have never seen a pipe priced over a Radice that has poorly cut button, bad shank transition, inclusion on the bowl likely to be a problem, or thin walls likely to lead to a burn out then I would have to question that. If you are impressed with the craftsmanship of every pipe on Instagram, then I just don't know what to say. Etsy is riddled with garbage pipes that look like they took all of 5 minutes to drill from drift wood. The counter to what you posted is in the rest of the thread because unless we are just assuming Todd to be lying, he goes out of his way to clarify these points. If Todd wants to think pipes with obvious technical flaws should not be selling for more than factory pipes, then I personally agree with him. For the moment the market might disagree with us both but in most hobbies these bubbles form them promptly pop. At the end of the thread the only suggestion by Todd and others is to produce superior work and try to educate the public about basic pipe making skills and what level work you might expect to see at a given price point. Doesn't sound very viscous or ill intended to me. They also point out that once upon a time, pipe shops did much of this work for the consumer. Now perhaps Todd has an attitude that extends beyond that thread that I am unaware of but in that thread he converses with pipe makers of all skill levels and price points. Never is he condescending towards them nor does he ever say his pipes are superior but again, I am taking this thread for this thread. Please tell me how the bamboo work on this pipe justifies the asking price because I see stuff like this all the time and frankly it is shameful. http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNSMOKED-WYATT-FISHER-BAMBOO-SMOOTH-STRAIGHT-GRAINED-MADE-IN-SANNIBEL-ISLAND-/321586379902?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae00abc7e

Status
Not open for further replies.