PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
That's what I've been thinking.

Not trying to pick on you or demerit your work, CCW. I'm just humbly suggesting that, if you're doing this for profit, even if it's an itty-bitty hobby profit, you'd do well to consider streamlined models. If I were to attend this show, I'd love to patronise your work, but the large cabinets are impractical for those of us living in small apartments where space is at a plus.
Just giving you more ways to bring in more income. **wink, wink** 8)
Hey, that's what it's all about, getting good feedback from people and potential customers about your products. I can see making some smaller "streamlined" versions in the future. So far, like so many craftsmen before me, I've been building what fitted my needs that turned into something others might be interested in. I'd certainly be willing to make some smaller racks for smaller spaces. It just turned out, that what I needed at the time, was a nice rack that could hold pipes and tobacco and keep it all nice and tidy and hidden from view at my office, just to keep the space clean. Then, I liked building them and had lots of supplies for a few left, so here we are 4 more racks later :lol:
I like it a lot, and the more I look at it, the more I like it. How much do you usually ask for a rack such as that?
Still haven't come up with a price for it yet, but I'm thinking somewhere north of $50 but less than $100 for a pine rack and the price would fluctuate depending upon embellishments. I have one I'm working on right now where I'm carving the word "Tobacco" into the door. Something like that would cost a bit more. Also, if it's a hardwood design, the price goes up more since hardwoods are little pricier, but look great!
The thing I like about the pine is that they are softer and can and will develop dings over time, which I personally love having that character develop over time. If you want something that won't ding up, then hardwood is the way to go.
I like those tampers you make, and maybe (most likely) I smoke smaller bowled pipes, but those tampers look huge. 8O
Some are a little big, but to give you an idea, I start with a 3/4" by 3/4" blank and sand it round from there, so they do range a little, but most of them should fit a bowl size 3/4" with ease. The shape of the bowl could affect it a bit if you have a conical or oddly shaped bowl, and it might not reach the bottom with the tamper, but it never really has to. As long as the tip can scrape out your bowl, it's good. I check mine with several of my own pipes to make sure they work before I finish them off.
I wish I lived closer to Raleigh. I could use a cabinet just like that one ... nice work. :clap:
Well, I'm currently trying to work out what a shipping fee might cost for something I make. Not sure yet what that could be like. Hopefully it's not an arm and a leg, but we'll see. So stay tuned!
Thanks brothers! I appreciate it! Y'alls good feedback keeps me working on my craftsmanship to make them better and better!

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Less than $100? Yeah... those aint going to last long. Betcha get a ton of orders in the process.
I could easily find a place for 2 of those right now. Please let us know when you can ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.