PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have no one to turn to at home for sympathy. You all understand the TAD. You respect that TAD affects each of us differently.
There are times when I have TAD and I have, 1: No control, 2: CRAZY Taste.
This leads me to my current sorrow. There was pipe that Steve was selling on Ebay today. I tried. I really did. I just couldn't release the funds I figured I would need to land this bad puppy.
s-l1600.jpg

14 Inches of one-of-a-kind Radice coolness. I figured I would need to go to $1001 to get it. I couldn't go higher than $700 and stay married. Sigh.
I watched it bump to $711 at 2 sec and felt that twinge of loss.
It would have been so majestic on my mantle.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I'd say you got lucky! Not digging that pipe very much. At least now you won't have to continually explain why you paid $700 for what looks like a kindergarten paper-miche art project.
Of course, I am the guy struggling with dropping $250 on a birthyear dunhill, so my perspective could be flawed.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I know. It's ugly... and oh so unique.
With regards to funds, I had a little squirrelled away from the sale of my house in tacoma. I figured I could do $700 on this and be done buying pipes for a long while.
But I read my post. I was so sad I got my AD's mixed up. PAD of course is what we are talking about.
Tom, I don't think we are that far off. Any more than $700 and I would have to explain to my wife where ANY amount of money came from... =)

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I like the pipe, though wouldn't be anywhere in the bidding ballpark.

You're lucky in one sense.

I just received a pipe for which I paid a fair price of $65, & now have to explain/justify to SWMBO; there is no your's, mine & ours, only her's & ours.

She has no comprehension of TAD or PAD.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
My wife is a magnificent creature. We were both divorced when we reconnected (we had been high school sweethearts a good many years ago). In part because she is just that awesome and in part because we have done the goat rope the wrong way in the past, she is particularly mellow where money is concerned. She has hers and I have mine. Admittedly I was near destitute until my house sold (two mortgages WILL kill you if you aren't prepared to deal with them).
So long as I pay my bills and put some away she doesn't care what happens to my money... generally. As the boxes of tobacco come in and the pipes show up in the mail, I get raised eyebrows from time to time. She has asked about 3 different times in the last 18 months, so how much is *enough* tobacco? I am honest with her. I have made some purchases in the last 6 weeks that should get up me near 100lb cellared. At my rate of consumption and tastes, I am good for many, many years.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't parade the receipt for this thing had I won it under her nose. She does have a frugal streak that would make her ask such goodies as: "You have like 200 pipes, where the hell are you putting that?" And, "Christmas is coming, that better not have cost as much as your gift to ME...?"

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
I would not spend that money for such a pipe, but I always state that money is like ass hole: everybody should employ his own the way he prefers.

That said, sometimes we regret to have obtained what we desired and sometimes we are relieved after we did not obtain it. Only time will say if you'll have to reget or to feel relieved.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
Have clickklick make you something similar. I was about to make that offer but I just cant wrap my head around it.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
There will always be the one that got away. I justify PAD and TAD to my wife by buying the occasional estate to resell, and so far it's been enough to pay for the pipes, the cellar, and then some (I think). There have been plenty that got away in the meantime, and a few I let go that I wished I would have hung onto.
There will be another ;)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Try a talented young carver who could do his/her own interpretation of this kind of pipe for far, far less money. I'm not sure how the smoking characteristics on this would be, but I can understand the allure.
Interesting life story of relationships there. I was deeply in love with my late wife who I lost in 2000. Widower was not a happy time for me. I reconnected with a close friend from undergraduate days before I met my late wife. We had a bountiful commuter romance and married in 2010, such a wonderful person. Life hasn't been a rose garden in every respect, but in terms of wives, I am a happy man, except of course for the loss. It reminds me how precious time is.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
$700... that's two commissions from Scottie Piersel and enough left to go on a nice TAD spree at SP.com. :puffy:

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Never, NEVER , tell anyone what ya gave for a pipe. They'll either be jealous or call ya a fool.Esp a spouse. They already know how crazy ya are. And yes, that thing does look like a petrified dog pecker. However, if ya like it, get one. ;-)

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I don't necessarily disagree with you. But since someone clearly wanted it more than I, I don't feel too stigmatized by sharing my non-winning bid. I went out and ebayed some today. I feel better.

andvary

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2016
Well, I can sympathize with that weird choice, myself being a guy who can impulse-buy an O'Hagen Shark (pictured), receive it broken to pieces en route and then have it repaired for the sum probably exceeding the purchase price. (By the way, it's not finished yet.)
1981-ohagan-shark-custom-electric-guitar-01.jpg

It somehow helps with the pipe hobby though. When yet another pipe arrives in the mail, my wife shrugs her shoulders and mutters: "Well, at least it's not a guitar..."

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Hmm ... I just saw a Star Trek rerun where Capt. Kirk and William Windom battled something that looked like that ...

Status
Not open for further replies.