PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamdat692

Lurker
Oct 5, 2019
Trying to decide between the two, I’m currently looking for a magie (with no success) which got me looking at the dunhill rollagas. If anyone has a magie they want to let go, I would be interested in buying. Also interested to thoughts on the magie, am I better off with the rollagas? Any vintage dunhills better than others? Thanks

Why go with a copy when you can get an original? I have a IM Corona Old boy as well as a few older Rollagas by Dunhill. Both are great lighters. The magie looks like a copy of a Dunhill?

If you are set on the Dunhill style, buy an OLD Dunhill. They are super simple to keep running and built to last generations.

2 things you need to know:

1. Dunhills are not designed as pipe lighters although they work fine. They used to make a conversion but are no longer available.

2. an OLD Rollagas is worth 4 new versions as they are much better built.

And all that being said, I use my IM Corona Old Boy more than any other of my fancy lighters, but in the Man Cave I use a trusty and reliable soft flamed Bic.... :) 6 for 3.99 at Walgreens :)

Jamdat692

Lurker
Oct 5, 2019
Have a couple old dunhills on the way one from the 60s and one from the 70s would love the pipe conversion

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Don't know if this is a Dunhill Old Boy or not, but it sure is an Old Boy. It appeared in the movie, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Quite a cast, too. The movie was set in the 60's.

Reactions: Jamdat692

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL

I've sent lighters fhere or repair as well as to convert Dunhills to the pipe angle flame. AFAIK they're the only place to get that conversion done. They're not especially cheap, but they have a good, long-standing reputation. They don't work on every brand of lighter, but pretty much all of the good makes.

Reactions: Jamdat692

Jamdat692

Lurker
Oct 5, 2019
Please post photos when you can!

The barley is a refurbished 66 and the bark I believe from the 70s. Having trouble getting the bark rollagas working. Going to take it apart and give it a thurough once over

Attachments

• 5511D526-8911-4E9D-826C-F114BFD609D0.jpeg
    5511D526-8911-4E9D-826C-F114BFD609D0.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 89
  • EE071ECA-9A21-4413-AE5B-36E8BDAA39F4.jpeg
    EE071ECA-9A21-4413-AE5B-36E8BDAA39F4.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 5

I've sent lighters fhere or repair as well as to convert Dunhills to the pipe angle flame. AFAIK they're the only place to get that conversion done. They're not especially cheap, but they have a good, long-standing reputation. They don't work on every brand of lighter, but pretty much all of the good makes.

I received a letter from him stating they are no longer doing the conversions because the parts are no longer being made. -sigh-

Reactions: ron123
Status
Not open for further replies.