PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I would concede that some smoking advocates do the same for marijuana. Also, many anti-smokers are anti-marijuana. Generalities simply do not make sense and are detrimental to the various discussions. When members equate tobacco with marijuana ... I fully understand why tobacco comes out on the short end of any discussion. We tobacco users can only sit on the sidelines, wringing our hands, complain about the unfairness of it all, and bemoan the tyranny of the majority. "Life's a bitch and then you die!"

Tobacco is socially not acceptable. Marijuana is somewhat, in some places, socially acceptable. Pro-marijuana voters are well funded and organized. Anti-tobacco groups are well funded and organized. Pro-tobacco? Unorganized, not even poorly organized. Funded? Not at all.

Lastly, there is perceived to be moneys to be made in the marijuana industry. We'll see what the future brings. Tobacco profits? Less and less each year in the Western World. As usual it always boils down to profits. But, continually obfuscating, muddying the waters, etc. by attempting to join the drug and the weed in discussions does not further the position of tobacco use.

I think that seeing that rapid flip between the socially acceptability of tobacco as compared to marijuana is at least part of the reason people bring up the marijuana issue so often.

Back when I was a college student in the early 2000's there was a period of time where I'd meet with a group of friends to grab coffee and have a cigarette or two in between our morning classes. Nobody seemed to think anything at all of us smoking cigarettes on campus, but not a single one of us would have publicly owned up to ever smoking marijuana (think of the future impact on your career! lol). Now the campuses are "smoke free" and although I don't live anywhere near a college campus these days, I've more or less found myself concealing my pipe and cigar smoking from the general public, while nobody seems to care a whit about weed anymore except cops.

Reactions: perdurabo
Status
Not open for further replies.