Huge Comoy’s Heirloom Bulldog - With a Twist.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

96 Fresh Peterson Pipes
2 Fresh Kent Rasmussen Pipes
12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Fellow Comoy fans, I have a huge Comoy Bulldog which I’d like some information on. I’m sure it’s in the XL category but isn’t marked as such.

The interesting thing about this giant bulldog is that the diamond stem forms a spiral — yes, a half-turn spiral. The grain isn’t as nice as some of the Blue Ribands I’ve seen, but it’s very pretty. There’s a ding on the stem and a ding on the bowl (I’d imagine you pro-restorers can easily fix these). The top of the chamber (which is ‘natural’ briar surface) is slightly charred one the back/stem side only.

Estate pipe of course, appears to be some carbonization near the top of the chamber. Stem (saddle with 1/8th down-bend bit) has slight oxidation on the back side of the square which splits off into the ‘main’ bit, and a slight amount of chatter. Three piece C.

I’m honing my restoration skills as I have a bunch of estates, but this Comoy needs a special owner with proven restoration skills. That said, it really doesn’t need a lot of work. It’d make a most beautiful show-piece with very little effort.

Markings are only:

“COMOY’S” - straight line
“HEIRLOOM” - straight line
“MADE” - arched
“IN” - straight
“LONDON” - arched
“ENGLAND” - straight

The bottom of the pipe is oval flat under half the bowl extending 1/5 down the stem, giving it a great sitting surface.

I’ve exhausted looking for a similar pipe online and have turned here for the Comoy pros.

I’ll post some pics when I’m over this nasty flu. In the meantime, any information about this Comoy welcome.

** Be patient please as I’m in deep-learning on Comoy and pipe restoration in general. Any corrections of my terms, etc. welcome. That said, I confess I’m NOT an expert on these things :) **

(I’ve got several Comoy’s — like, a bunch. Did I say I have a lot of Comoy’s? Anyway I need to unload many of them because I got a terrible case of PAD and need to pare down.)

Again, I will post some pics when I’m feeling better.

Thanks!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We've speculated elsewhere that the Hory Jameson (of Barling's and GBD fame) might have carved those Heirloom pipes OR they were made to compete with GBD Uniques of the same era. Not much can be found on this line.

Reactions: diamondback

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Thank you sir!

I was rather surprised to pull it out of the bag, so to speak.

I’ll get some pics and specs up by this weekend, and might put it up for sale here without doing any restoration on it. I’m buffing up my skills on basket grade pipes until I really trust myself - a big thank you to “Reborn Pipes,” (Mr. Jones I believe I’ve seen and read about some of your work; learning A LOT from that gem of a site).

Someone might want this piece in their collection. /shrugs ?? Y’all may have seen similar bulldogs but to me it’s on the unique side.

Is there a cure for “Comoy eye?” :)

Status
Not open for further replies.