PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Unless I am just misconstruing what I am seeing. Line up the hole with the center of the stem/shank. It looks like it is very well made to me.
I see what you are saying and agree to a certain degree. The cleaner does look bent and the hole may be centred relative to the shank. However, it is nowhere near the centre of the chamber so something is out and from the look of it, it's out a huge amount. You can tell it's wrong because where the hole enters the bottom of the chamber the left side, where it joins the bowl is far higher than the right side showing it is definitely further to the left of the bottom of the chamber. Both sides should be in the same position relative to one another. Whether this is caused by iffy chamber drilling, iffy shank drilling or both is difficult to tell from the picture. But it looks well wrong in my opinion.

I see, Jazz. All it takes for a circle to look "off" is a fraction of a mm. Our brains pick up any slight differences. You can have a square dived unevenly, and it would take longer to detect, than a circle divided a fraction of a mm. It is off, ever so slightly, and I think the sensitive human brain (to circle) and that bent pipecleaner really overemphasizes how off it really is. But, if I had it in hand, there might be something that I am missing from the picture.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The three posts just above this in the last hour are talking about the drilling discussed earlier, and I think the consensus on that was yes, it was off center, but it would smoke just fine.
Then Al posted photos about the gap in the stem, different issue. So, as you were!

Status
Not open for further replies.