PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Oldgeezersmoker, great post.
I bought mine (the one mentioned above) from a VERY reputable dealer, who we all know, and may or may not be a sponsor of this forum, and I strongly suspect they turned a blind eye to it. Why do I think that? Because of the hundreds of Castellos they have sold (2 previous were sold to me) just about all of them have a photo of the bowl from the top looking onto the draft hole..... This current one however does not - and I didn't even think to enquire.

Coincidence that they didn't show that amongst the many other views of the pipe that they did show?
Either way, I'm going to keep it, and try and enjoy the heck out of it.... Hoping the perfectionist in the back of mind doesn't nag at me every time I smoke it.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Sorry, just saw the request for photo.

Here it is:

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
That would not cause me much concern, but I'd prefer that it was straight for some reason I can't explain.
I have a one pipe that was made by a prominent American carver whose pipes regularly touch $1000+. I'd say its draft hole is more off-center than this Castello. Smokes beautifully.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Fine illustration. This lets us know a lot. The pipe will not suffer one iota smoking-wise. Hope this decreases any displeasure with the drilling.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Rob, your Castello is drilled very similar to mine and other than it being a little eye catching, it smokes just fine.
Nice pipe, by the way.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Thanks gents... as mentioned above, I have every intention of keeping it, and smoking it! I will be christening it soon and expecting good results!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
My Castellos perform that fine I may consider adding another one to my collection in a short while,

Love my Ashtons as well except for one minor annoyance, stems on these are somewhat bulky and buttons shaping leave something to desire.

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
I agree with the buttons of the Ashtons but I find that Castello button work is not always the greatest either, at least for my teeth. I wished Castellos had buttons as comfortable as Musico foundation pipes...

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
just a day ago I was discussing with one of Italian based tobacconist over a one specific Castello in which I had interest, but then again,it was drilled, as shown above, no a big deal and that wasn't the deal breaker to me but instead, the chamber size was.Way too spacious for my specific purposes.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Tabaccheria Conti has some Castello's all discounted.

This Sea Rock caught my eye, but the stem fitment is horrendous (same gap on both side pix)
pipe-castello-sea-rock-briar-kkkk.jpg

This 55 Sea Rock also seems to have a similar issue.
pipe-castello-sea-rock-briar-kkkk-shape-55.jpg

Bad photography (stems not in all the way) or poorly constructed?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hard to say on the first one- may not be inserted right. Second one looks like bad fit.
A black background would have concealed those gaps.

The picture of the bottom of the bowl, with the bent bit of pipecleaner poking out... If you line up the stem with the hole, it looks dead on to me. The bit of pipecleaner sticking out looks like it was bent a bit, because if you follow the angle of the pipecleaner, there is no way that the pipecleaner is straight. It would come out of the side of the stem if it were.
There is usually a step in draft hole diameter that tightens up as the draft enters the bowl/chamber in well engineered pipes. It could be that this step in diameter bends the pipecleaner as it enters the chamber, but I don't think the pipecleaner is straight and the hole is at all.
Unless I am just misconstruing what I am seeing. Line up the hole with the center of the stem/shank. It looks like it is very well made to me.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
If you line up the stem with the hole, it looks dead on to me. The bit of pipecleaner sticking out looks like it was bent a bit, because if you follow the angle of the pipecleaner, there is no way that the pipecleaner is straight. It would come out of the side of the stem if it were.
I thought the same thing, a straight edge along side the pipe cleaner would exit somewhere around the stem/shank joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.