PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Well, after all ,now when I'm paying more attention to this very Castello Lovat of mine I'm finding out the bowl bore is a bit off center,by any chance, does this have any negative affect on smokability of this pipe?
castello-castello-kk-mod-14-lovat-carlo-scotti-11.jpg

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
I cannot see from the picture. Is it the drilling of the draft hole you mean? Or is it the actual bowl chamber that has not been centered? The last 'issue' I have in a Castello as well and it smokes like a dream. I never really worry about these things too much as long as it has a bigger hole to put tobacco in and a smaller hole to suck the smoke out from I am a happy man.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
If the bowl chamber is out of round it won't affect the smoke at all as long as the drilling itself is correct. However, with my anal nature, it's the kind of thing that would drive me mental. I just couldn't live with it. There are exceptions though. Sometimes it's necessary to have it out of round forwards or backwards. That is to say that because of the design of the pipe in can be out of round either toward or away from the stem. This can be fine to my eye because it has a reason and looks OK but when I see one out of alignment to the left or the right of the line of the pipe it drives me spare :D
If you're fine with it though I don't see a problem. Only you know if it smokes alright, in the end.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
It just so happens, my new Castello Trademark billiard that I got around Christmas time is also a bit off center. Honestly, it wasn't something I noticed until I had already smoked it a few times - I should be better at inspecting new pipes, especially more expensive new pipes. Luckily, it's a dry, beautiful smoke down to the bottom of the bowl. The bowl never gets hot and it has a wide open airway. Pipe cleaners practically get lost and pass through with hardly any friction whatsoever.
It's funny that this pipe, which is my most expensive briar by far, is the only one out of a couple dozen that is drilled off center. Maybe it's for the best and it'll prevent me from becoming a complete Castello fanboy (or maybe not), which could get awful expensive in the long run. Unless there's a chance this sucker is in danger of a shorter life due to the drilling, which I doubt since it never get's hot, I'm not stressing about it. It's just a quirky little part of my small pipe collection.
Hopefully the pipe experts on here will be offer more info on what your concerns may be on the smoke-ability of your pipe.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Paul, what jazz says is truth. If you can smoke it fine and it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it. If you find yourself worrying about it, and it is taking away from your enjoyment of the pipe then either return it (if you can) or sell it.
Life is too short to be bothered by bad smokes.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I don't understand your issue from your description and picture.
However, at Park Lane in NY, last year, I handled a number of their new Castellos and was appalled to see several drilled off center. I'm not sure how they made it out of the shop.
I ended up ordering a small Sea Rock #65 from Tabaccheri Corti Online Shop, and it was perfectly drilled.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Jerry Perry artisan poker with the chamber clearly intentionally a little asymmetrical. I bought it as part of the pipe's design. It is carved of Mountain Laurel, with a sort of Japanese aesthetic, using irregularities as expression. Jerry is in the foothills, in persimmon country, and does it his way, which I appreciate. Maybe think about the Costello that way too.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I purchased a high end Castello (collection) about a year or so back that had the airway drilled off center. I did not smoke it otherwise I may not have been able to return it (so can not say how well it may have smoked). Much disappointed, sent it back. As per the previous post, don't know how it got out of the factory....

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
I just received a brand new Sea Rock 55 kk.... very disappointed to see the airway doesn't meet the centre of the Bowl - it's not even close

Its not that hard to drill a hole centered and straight, and I can only imagine they had an apprentice on the job the day it was made.

And it beyond belief how it passed quality control.

I've got a number of Savinellis, and every single one of them is drilled perfectly.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Otherwise this mine is flawless and smokes perfect,my another Castello(Searock)is all 100% good as is my smallish Radice Rind nontheless, should to be said,in this price range I wouldn't like to hear too much these like sad stories as written above.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Granted, I don't have a Castello at the moment; maybe there's something about it we don't know. Me, I expect accuracy & proper drilling in any midline pipe, & definitely in high lines like Castello's sea rock, et al. If the defects are that prevalent it leads me to wonder. I'd definitely expect more/better from a company like that.
Bill

Oct 7, 2016
The short answer is that Franco Coppo has a different tolerance for drilling alignment than many of his customers.(Including me) No pipe leaves the workshop without his inspection. He knows the optimal placement of draft holes and can tell whether the chamber is off center or not. It is not a huge issue as far as the percentage of pipes they make, but I try to remember to always ask, particularly if there is no return privilege (eBay, say) or if returning the pipe would be costly (as in returning the pipe to Italy from the US). It is what it is.

Oct 7, 2016
@Paul, as I have been told many times by those involved in the sale/distribution of new Castellos, "Coppo thinks the pipe will smoke just fine, " or words to that effect. I used to collect extra long shank Lovats and Canadians and many had draft holes drilled wide right or left. In those days,when Castellos were poorly distributed in the US, these pipes were scarce as hens teeth and you took what you could find, gratefully. Each and every one was a wonderful smoker, though it still bothers me that this is a recurring issue, just from the standpoint of aesthetics and the ever recurring thought " For the money, they ought to be able to drill a straight line!" I do ask, and occasionally I will pass on one that is not where it should be. The dealers know and will tell you if you ask, but it is something they have come to terms with. If they were getting back a significant number of pipes due to burnouts, things would be different.
I would emphasize that this is an occasional issue. I am glad you are enjoying your pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.