PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
...of upstate New York. Interesting site. Thought I'd join in occasionally, although most subjects seem pretty well covered by current members. Will have been smoking pipes in 2024 for 60 years.
If I get there. Which I have every intention of doing--I'm a mere lad of 73, looking a very youthful 72, which I attribute to good bourbon and tobacco. I like most pipe tobaccos, with no particular favorite blend or type of blend. Tobacco whore, I guess.
"Welcome" and "Keep-the-hell-out" responses are not required. Feel free to omit, and we'll meet later, so to speak. My next visit may be a while is the point.
Now to figure out how to post pics on this here site.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Keep the hell out
Welcome
Glad you're here!
jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Don't trouble yourself with the picture thing too much yet.
The site is about to transition to a more modern and easier format and any pics hosted on the site before the change may be lost.
As for the avatar, there is a "main" site and the forum site. Many post their avatar on the main site and are then confused when it does not show up on the forum. The main site is also where you will find your album, if you proceed that far. It's less than intuitive.
If you click "Home" in the top left, you'll go to the main site. Then, you'll see a link up top for "My Account" with a sub-menu for album, avatar, etc. However, that is not the forum avatar.
Once you click on the Forum link from the main page, find your screen name in the "Members Online Now" section and click on it. That carries you to your forum profile page and you will see additional controls top right for editing profile and avatar. (You can also click on your screen name from any posting to get there)
That's my one serious post for the day... :nana:
jay-roger.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
What Jay said, yeah. And vis-a-vis understatement, yeah, there's a lot of that too. AND the opposite as well, e.g. Alaskan piper's review of Sutliff's goop. -laugh-. Welcome anyway, from upstate of SC!
Bill

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Dang! Your post got me excited that there might be another Alaskan on the site. And one within 50 miles no less! There are precious few of us as it is. Anyway, welcome to the site, lower 48-er or otherwise!
AND the opposite as well, e.g. Alaskan piper's review of Sutliff's goop.
You calling me long-winded, Bill? If so I would like to lodge a formal complaint! Just give me a couple hours to write it up.....

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Welcome aboard my New York friend. I had a good friend once who lived in the Finger Lakes region of NY, his name was Andy VanVleet. Once he moved up, he never wanted to come back downstate. Gods country for sure.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Welcome! I used to work up there with some frequency (NY Thruway Travel Plaza inspections). I spent a lot of mornings at Baroody's in Geneva, enjoying a pipe with y morning coffee and an assortment of regulars. John Wayne's stunt double use to hang out there in the morning, he was a character. Then on one trip, I found they were sold, moved across the street and lost their grandfathered in right to smoke inside. All the regulars were gone, and I never went back as well. Sad.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Thanks guys. Yeah, the area is pretty cool in many ways. Guess it's the lakes and climate for vineyards or something. European visitors claim it's like the German Rhineland or some damn thing. I'm too used to it to think of it as anything other than where I've lived most of my life.
Welcome! I used to work up there with some frequency (NY Thruway Travel Plaza inspections). I spent a lot of mornings at Baroody's in Geneva, enjoying a pipe with y morning coffee and an assortment of regulars. John Wayne's stunt double use to hang out there in the morning, he was a character. Then on one trip, I found they were sold, moved across the street and lost their grandfathered in right to smoke inside. All the regulars were gone, and I never went back as well. Sad
Baroody's! That was where I got my start, more or less, smoking a pipe! It was the only place I knew of that carried blends like Balkan Sobranie Virginia #10, probably the first "sophisticated" blend I liked. They had premium cigars, pipes, meerschaums and stuff in display cases,along with a wall of tinned stuff. On the counter were the usual jars of house blends. But the place was basically a news stand. Tons of magazines and out-of-town papers. Nothing wrong with that. I think every town in America had a similar emporium, but Baroody's just went in a little heavier with tobaccoweed. Last time I looked, it was still there, but in name only. The shop had moved back across the street, the space was divided, and it was just a small counter with a tattooed lady selling incense, Lotto tickets, vaping swill, cheap cigars and dusty packs of Prince Albert. Small world, Al, and all that.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The forum upgrade occurs tomorrow, hopefully, so good timing.

I used to love enjoying a pipe looking at Geneva Lake. They built a nice bandstand there, and only last visit, the community band was giving me accompaniment. Very peaceful!

It was definitely hard to see Baroody's change. Prior to stopping there during work travel, we used to stop on the way to Watkins Glen (opposite end of the lake) for cigars before a race, when my brother lived in NY in the 90's.

Reactions: burleybreath
Status
Not open for further replies.