Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've posted instructions any number of times. In response to this post:
One DOES NOT have to use a hosting site, pictures can be uploaded directly. Would someone please put a sticky with CLEAR, CONCISE instructions for both options, as there should be!!!
I've written this VERY COMPLETE set of steps for uploading and posting from within the Pipe Magazine site. Once you have done this a couple of times, uploading and posting pictures within the Pipes Magazine site is very fast and easy. It just looks like a lot.
To upload a picture to the PM site, do the following:
1. Start at the Pipes Magazine home page. The home page can be accessed on the left side of the menu at the top of the page where it says "Home".
2. On the home page, next to the word "Home" it says "My Account".
3. Place your cursor over "My Account" and scroll down the pop up menu to "Album" and another pop up menu will appear that says "Pictures" and "Upload Picture".
4. Click on "Upload Picture".
5. A page will appear that says "Upload Picture" at the top. There are two windows below it, one of which says "Picture Title" and the other of which says "Picture Description". Fill in a title and description for the image that you are going to upload.
6. Below these windows it says "Browse".
7. Click on "Browse".
8. A window will appear showing your desktop. Navigate to the directory where the picture that you want to upload is stored. Select the picture that you want to upload and click on the "open" button. The image that you selected will appear next to the word "Browse".
9. Below "Browse" is "Upload Photo". Click on the "Upload Photo" button.
10. The picture that you just uploaded will appear on a new page. To upload another photo, click on "Upload Photo" next to the image that you just uploaded and repeat steps 8 and 9 until you have uploaded all of the pictures that you want to upload.
To add the pictures to your post, do the following:
1. Open a second window to the PM site, and navigate to the thread where you want to post your pictures. Then return to the window where you just finished uploading your pictures.
2. I you are still on the page where you uploaded your pictures, click on the word "Pictures" to the left of the last image that you just uploaded. This will return you to your album page, showing thumbnails of all of the pictures that you just uploaded. Otherwise, return to the "Home" page, scroll down the "My Account" pop up menu to "Album" "Pictures". Select "Pictures".
3. You will see a page showing thumbnails of all of the pictures that you have uploaded.
4. Click on the thumbnail of the picture that you want to add to your post. This will open the page for that picture.
5. If you are on a PC, right click to open a pop up menu and scroll down to "copy image location". If you are on a Mac, hold down the control key and click to open a pop up menu and scroll down to "copy image location".
6. Select "copy image location".
7. Select the other window, which should be open to the thread where you want to post your pictures.
8. Click on the "IMG" button immediately above the reply window. This will open a dialog box. Paste the image location that you just copied into the "IMG" pop up dialog box. Click OK. The image location of the picture will appear in your reply, framed by IMG in brackets.
9. Repeat steps 2 thru 8 for each image to post multiple images.
10. When you have finished adding images and have written what you want to say, click "Send Post".
Your images will appear in your post.
_57-141-600x371.jpg

1882 Barling
Posting from a third party image hosting site, like Imgur, is simpler as you can bypass the whole "IMG" thing by selecting BBCode option, which will automatically format your selected picture. Then you just paste it into the reply window.
FMOg8G5.jpg

1926 Barling "Montreal"

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Brush,
thanks for that and on another note... "Curses be on ye sir" for posting those beautiful briars for everyone to see and be completely preoccupied for the rest of the day!
Absolutely amazing pipes, made even more so because of their age and condition.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
I'll have to give this a go, thanks.
I haven't posted pictures here because it was always sketchy and tedious (not a fan of photobucket, etc) and almost all the other forums I visit are very simple and super-easy to load and post. As busy as this forum seems to be I'd think it would have a simple format for posting pictures (i.e 2 clicks and done). But maybe this will be the answer. Thanks again.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I suggest for those newish to posting images they not rely on code supplied by several image hosting sites. The reason? You have to select the right one- easy enough if you're used to it. Even on the same site, sometimes differing choices are offered.
Secondly, the method below works on virtually any image, so those precious eBay pipes, retail offerings, google images found, can be posted easily.
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Also, here are slightly different instructions for using this site's photo album:
This is ONE way to add photos to your post:
If you want to use the site's album (images tend to be smaller than hosting site's size, but can be full sized if you remove the pixel limitation, -600x360)

1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and mouse down to Album.

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and select "copy image location" (its URL).

5.) Return to your reply window in the thread and click on the IMG button at the top of the compose window.

7.) Paste the image location into the window and click OK.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Sablebrush, thanks again for being a saint and helping the new members with pics, it's always a struggle. :clap:

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Great, now mods, look through this, edit and post the instructions as an easily referenced sticky!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The benefit of learning to upload photos to this site, versus linking to exterior sites, is longevity.
When you are reading an old post and find that the images are no longer there, it's because the exterior site no longer has them available.
The images uploaded to our site should stay available indefinitely.
jay-roger.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi John,
I posted this VERY COMPLETE version so that the newcomer or technophobe will be able to upload and post images while comprehending what is going on at each step. I didn't shortcut, or take for granted anyone's intuitive abilities.
For example, if you don't fill in the Picture Description and Picture Title windows, the site will prevent your image from uploading. The PM site software will automatically resize pictures when uploading to the site.
About the only thing that I would revise is part 8 of the uploading instructions where I wrote:

"The image that you selected will appear next to the word "Browse"." It would have been more accurate to have written, "The file name of the image that you selected will appear next to the word "Browse"."
Oh well, can't get it all perfect...
If you want to post higher resolution images you need to post from a third party site. Sites like Imgur make uploading a bunch of images easy because it's just drag and drop. Then you just select the type of posting format that you want to use, BBCode in this instance, and paste the correctly formatted image's name and location directly into the reply window, ready to go.
I like imgur because it's well featured, simple, and reliable. I won't go near Photobucket to look at pictures because the site's owners have overdone the ads and pop ups. You can wait for ages for an image to finally appear. That's why I say "fuck it" to Photobucket.
I titled this thread in a manner to make it easy to find if someone does a Google search, and I even filled in the key words so that someone can use the PM site's crappy search function and possibly find it.
So you now have a very findable VERY COMPLETE set of instructions for uploading to, and posting to, the PM site.
And that's the last time I'm doing this.

paddypiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2017
Ontario, Canada
This would have been very helpful a week or two ago when I was trying to figure it out. It didn't take me long, but not knowing you had to access your album from the Pipes Magazine homepage is what slowed me down. Hopefully this helps people in the future.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It will! A handful of us try to watch out for those who may be in need of some help in posting photos. I remember posting in some of your threads, but don't recall just what I posted. Did I send this your way?
This is ONE way to add photos to your post:
If you want to use the site's album (images tend to be smaller than hosting site's size, but can be full sized if you remove the pixel limitation, -600x360)

1.) Login

2.) Go to My Account (may have hit Home button first) and mouse down to Album.

3.) Choose Upload Picture (navigate to photo you've given a sensible name to), be sure to then hit Upload.

4.) Go back to Album, click on thumbnail to open full size image. Right click (Windows); Control Click (Mac) and select "copy image location" (its URL).

5.) Return to your reply window in the thread and click on the IMG button at the top of the compose window.

7.) Paste the image location into the window and click OK.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So there you have it, ladies and gentlemen. John and I have enabled a great and mighty host to upload and post pictures on the PM site. We will someday be judged for our transgressions committed here today.
And as this thread drifts off the recent threads page and into obscurity, remember that it exists somewhere in cyberspace and that you can find it in future by doing a simple Google search. So the next time a new member asks for help, all you need to do is tell the lazy bugger to do his own Google search.
My work here is done.

Jun 27, 2016
I heartily endorse not using Photobucket, and also discouraging others from using it.
Do yourselves a favor and just find another way, whatever it may be. :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You don't love gratuitous pop ups, crap loading time and difficult navigation?? I call it fuckitbucket.
Imgur and Postimage are two I like. Dropbox pretty well sucks, at least some of the time.
The site here is way better now that we know how to have larger images displayed. (removing the -XXXxXXX— the pixel size at the end of the string, just before .jpg)
img_0731.jpg

The above is small because it was uploaded small. The link (munged so it will show) is http: //pipesmagazine.com/ wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files

/album/13358/img_0731-600x450.jpg The dash and whatever numbers that follow should be removed, but not .jpg.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One more illustration: You can add to your posts images from almost anywhere by a Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location, and then pasting that URL into the IMG box.
The following was found on Facebook, but hosted by another site, Instagram. It's by Gustavo Cunha, the primo Brazilian carver.
19417485_1686421101398709_1535767407468705791_o.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks Jesse. I'll edit from your last comment and sticky it. Unfortunately, I don't have a way of organizing the stickies, they are all over. If anyone knows a solution for that, give me a shout.
I did this one a year ago, with screen caps, but no one can ever seem to find it.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/posting-pictures-using-album-photos

Jun 27, 2016
I am very much enjoying watching Photosuckit implode in real-time.

Al your link is not working, possibly due to their newest con-job TOS.

I have years of stuff on there that I am not backing up, and I still hope that they end up shutting down by the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.