PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I don't sell many pipes, as some may recall from my juicy offering awhile back. I'm not a sales copy guy, and really, prefer to do business on the phone or in person when I can. I have most confidence as the buyer, in my experience.

I rarely buy on e-bay, but if I do, I prefer the buy it now with an option to haggle, only because I enjoy the haggling process far more than a bidding war.

My reason isn't even primarily to save money (though it's a nice side effect), but rather, it's a kind of sport. I'm a guy who will haggle with an internet provider, just to talk turkey, and often, I get a good deal that is not advertised. In North America, it is not much in the culture to haggle, for most things, and sometimes I think this is an advantage. People don't see it coming too often, and you would be really surprised at where you can get a deal in those circumstances.

I never used to haggle, until one time, I was standing in line with a friend at the grocery store and he started it at the check out. I couldn't believe it. He didn't need the money, but he did it out of habit. He was successful in getting some manager's or staff discount, I can't remember exactly. Walking out, I said "What in the hell was that all about?" His response: "I'd rather have the money in my pocket." What more was there to say?

We talked about it, and over time, he put it this way: "Listen, it sounds small at the time, but after awhile, the difference is having a "free" plane ticket somewhere nice. The worst people can say is no."

Of course, he was right.

But, on e-bay, I'm a little torn between the buy it now and the bidding when selling. It seems like a bidding war can tap into emotions and really send something flying. But how can you hedge your bets against this? I'm positive that there is a good way and a bad way to do this, but I don't have the experience to know when to choose which way.

Does anyone have a guideline they use for choosing between the two options?

For something like pipes, I thought, maybe, the popularity of a brand might be useful in swinging to an auction, because a lot of interested parties are potentially looking. But, if it's a rare piece for a limited target of people, maybe the buy it now option is best suited?

Maybe a price point is ideal? Less than $300 and an auction may be the way to go? More than $600 and a buy it now option is going to get the better deal?

I have no idea. I'm curious if anyone thinks about this and applies some kind of rubric for dealing with it.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
There is the option, on eBay, of setting a minimum as well. There are so many variables, it is impossible to make any firm recommendations. The biggest problem you have with eBay is not being an established, reputable seller of pipes. I'm sure many pipe smoking hobbyists regularly check in on the listings from people like pipestud, treasurepipes, etc. who are fairly well known. There are a fair amount of them.

Here's the problem. Not many do an exhaustive search each week through pipe listings. Perhaps if you are listing Castello pipes, for example, you may be found. You're not going to get anywhere near the traffic though that Pipestud does. So there is the problem. Regardless of what strategy you use, your sale isn't going to get the exposure/traffic thereby often causing your item not to sell or to sell for a low price.

I have bought and sold quite a few pipes over time at eBay. In my experience, it's a lot easier to get a great deal as a buyer than make a great deal as a Seller when you're doing it occasionally. It is what it is. I'd try to find other avenues than eBay if you can. I'd list them here and/or other sites first. I'd look at Briar Blues, Smoking Pipes and other similar places you could sell or send in for credit. I'd consider using Steve/Pipestud. I know Steve personally and have bought quite a few pipes from him. Great guy in my own opinion and I think many others here will echo that. What you lose in paying Steve's fees you'll potentially get back by getting higher prices due to his exposure and reputation. And you save yourself all the hassle.

Good luck.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Thanks for the tips @hoosierpipeguy

Down the road, I may knock on pipestud's door. Nothing against smokingpipes (I buy pipes from them), but I didn't find their exchange for credit to be worthwhile in this case.

I get that they need to make money, and to be fair, they didn't actually have my pipe in their hands (I'm not in the U.S.A. and shipping back and forth for appraisal is a hassle). I just described it -and they knew what it was because I bought it from them- to get a rough estimate, which they graciously provided.

I've had my pipe listed on ebay and have already got two offers, both for about $250 more than I would have got from smokingpipes. I declined both (with counteroffer) because I'm not in a rush and don't need the money. It's a strong seller's position. However, page views to the listing are not high, which is probably exactly what you're getting at. I wonder if a commission, rather than credit, might be more able to make up the gap.

I can see how smokingpipes might work on some exchanges, but since they also need to keep the lights on, rent paid, employees paid, etc., etc., I didn't find them competitive in this case. It's not a knock against them or anyone who uses the service. The situation may be unique.

I don't buy pipes for re-sale value at all. For sure not to leave some kind of inheritance... ha!

But, occasionally I'll grow tired of something. One thing I've noticed is that by the price structure, I think most pipes are like cars. As soon as it's off the lot, you're going to take a haircut on something brand new, with maybe a few exceptions. Unless perhaps you wait 50 years and it becomes something truly rare. But... I'm smoking now.

Resale of pipes can be tricky. It rarely happens with me. I think that like cars, boats, etc., the price is more likely to stay near where you bought it if you get it used first.

Reactions: lightmybriar

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Buy it now and make an offer has worked a few times, otherwise like hoosier I set my price.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Smoking Pipes is like a car dealer taking in a trade. They aren't buying your pipe to smoke. They're buying it to resell and make a profit. They calculate the price they think they can get and minutes their profit margin to determine what they offer. Quick and painless .... at a cost to you, the seller. It's not for everybody. Depends on your needs and objective.

Reactions: lightmybriar

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Man, I'm just the opposite. I can't stand haggling. I dread shopping for things when i travel to a place where it is the norm. Different personalities, I guess.

I don't have anything to add in regards to selling your pipe, but good luck however you decide to go.

Reactions: Casual

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Haha, I love the story about your friend. I’m looking to sell a pipe or two soon, but I’ll probably just post them for sale here.

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
Man, I'm just the opposite. I can't stand haggling. I dread shopping for things when i travel to a place where it is the norm. Different personalities, I guess.

I don't have anything to add in regards to selling your pipe, but good luck however you decide to go.

I'm a name your price guy as well. I'll walk away before I haggle. Bidding is a different story.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think haggling is a subset of salesmanship. One interesting thing I have always noticed is that really good sales people tend to be some of the people most vulnerable to salesmanship. It depends on an emotional more than a financial ambition. There's an underlying need, to get something back or keep something from the other person. I think most of us simply don't want to get that far into someone else's mind and needs, but if you are into it, it is a whole human drama, every day. Mainly, it's work you enjoy, or you don't.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I'm surprised at people who don't haggle for things. The thought of walking on to a car lot and paying whatever some sales person asks sounds horrific to me. I honestly didn't think it was ever done that way. Or a house! I haggled for tens of thousands of dollars in that case (closer to the 100 side).

There is a point where you can become a real prick in the process. I don't haggle in the grocery line, as my friend once did, but he did show me how it was done and I've never forgotten it. I'm very grateful for his example, really, because it has had an enormous impact. Most people just don't notice the cumulative effects.

The art of a good haggle is to not be a prick. Ask politely, be prepared to accept no for an answer. It doesn't have to be like a Monty Python skit. Support your asking with evidence when appropriate.

There is nothing uncouth about haggling done properly, in my opinion. Add to that the many, many thousands of dollars I have saved during the process and you couldn't convince me not to haggle. Impossible. And I'm not even talking big ticket items, like a house.

But, I guess it is possible that I get my savings from those who do not know how or wish to haggle. In which case, I thank you! My yearly trips to Europe and South America are subsidized by your stiff upper lip! Ha... I'm only a quarter of the way joking... Maybe. But seriously, thanks all the same!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Well, you kind of have to haggle with cars and houses (where I live you get to negotiate how much MORE than asking you'll pay for the house!), which is why I also dread shopping for those things. But, I do think haggling at the grocery store would indeed be uncouth, and I would probably go atomic if I was waiting in line to checkout and someone starts trying to negotiate the price of their pork chops :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: cshubhra
This reminds me an instance when I was buying a birthday cake from a grocery store. Only item I had was the cake.The old lady looked at me, said happy birthday and gave me her employee discount without asking.
Well, you kind of have to haggle with cars and houses (where I live you get to negotiate how much MORE than asking you'll pay for the house!), which is why I also dread shopping for those things. But, I do think haggling at the grocery store would indeed be uncouth, and I would probably go atomic if I was waiting in line to checkout and someone starts trying to negotiate the price of their pork chops :LOL:

Oct 7, 2016
I'm a name your price guy as well. I'll walk away before I haggle. Bidding is a different story.

I just purchased my second pipe in three years using the buy it now or best offer option on eBay. I have bought around 100 at eBay auctions. I find most of those listings are over priced, and why bother going back and forth when I can count on a steady stream of pure no reserve, low starting bid auctions with reputable sellers with reasonable return privileges yielding more pipes that are attractive to me than I could possibly afford. If a seller lists a pipe that completed auctions say should be a $200 pioe for $300, he is trying to make you feel like you are getting a good deal if after much pi**ing and moaning he comes down to $250

I see a pipe I like at a true eBay auction, figure the most I want to pay for it, enter that number in Auction Sniper a few days before it ends so I am not overly influenced by what others have bid, and forget about it. I get an email from them saying I won, I lost or, before the auction even ends, my bid was too low to even be entered. One outcome is as likely as the others in my experience. Most of the sellers I have dealt with who use the buy it now format are gougers or don’t know the market value of what they have, IMO. Haggling with them is a losing waste of time.

Reactions: Bengel
Status
Not open for further replies.