How to sanitize a bowl without salt/alcohol treatment??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
I have a group of of about 10 estate pipes sitting in my garage. Most are really caked up. I know about the salt alcohol treatment after reaming but could one also use a commercial pipe sweetener?
This thread was very helpful, thanks all.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Hey Bronx Briar: Note the suggestion on KOSHER SALT. Sounds to me that a pipesmoker in Riverdale should use it exclusively. No better smoke than after some good old fashioned Jewish maintenance. Makes for holy smokes!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Bronxbriar, commercial sweeteners are too expensive in my book to use at all . A decent high proof alcohol is as good or better in that some of the flavors left by sweeteners are quite distracting.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
IMO the commercial sweetener make a pipe taste unbearably disgusting for about 3-4 smokes! I can't stand the minty mouthwash taste that comes from the few that I have used!

jjtroutbum

Lurker
Feb 3, 2011
I have use the Bee pipe sweetener by Yellow bowl on occasion. Seems to lighten up the dusty old bowl syndrome that some pipes get after left in the rack or re homed after years of non use.
Wet a cleaner hit the shank a few times leave it in the rack for another day. Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.