PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I recently got a very nice Savinelli from smokingpipes, but when the packed wrapped the pipe in bubble wrap, a section of the front of the bowl was taped. I noticed it when I was unwrapping it. Is there a special way to get this off? I usually use Goo-gone, but I don't care for having my new pipe smell like orange chemicals. Is windex safe on the finish?
It doesn't really show in the picture, but here it is:
p_20190315_101358-600x450.jpg

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
That's a tough one. Anything solvent based will most likely take the finish with it. My first thought would be the careful application of WD40 on a rag but using that on a pipe would be questionable. Windex of course contains ammonia which I'm not sure how it would react to the finish. I've had good luck with just rubbing really hard with my thumb and follow up with a soft cloth. Maybe warm it first somehow?
Also had good luck using the adhesive side of the tape, rapidly applied then lifted to take off adhesive left behind.
Head scratcher for sure. Interested in more knowledgeable replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A gentle scrape with the fingernail, followed by a brisk rubbing with my thumb usually works. Rub fast enough to generate a bit of heat. This usually works. I'm not averse to something citric on a paper towel for the stubborn adhesives though.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I find that stubborn tape stickiness comes off pretty easy with Zippo lighter fluid. Squirt a little on a soft cloth and gently rub the spot, and it might take a couple of times. It also may dull the finish a little if it's a waxed surface but I've never seen it take the stain off. You might have to re-wax it, or just polish it with some microfiber cloth.

Status
Not open for further replies.