PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Having learned a bit more about care for pipes, I realized that some of my favorites had built up too much cake for my Elder creamer to remove without breaking my wrists. Is there anything to do that would make the process less painful and time consuming?

Mar 30, 2014
wv
For concrete hard cake, plug the shank and fill the bowl chamber with alcohol for a few hours. It will soften the cake. Good luck.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I usually use a pipe tool to even out the cake, but at the same time, it's not real thick to begin with. The tool has a rounded point, and you don't want to push on the bottom regardless of the tool you use. It's a bit safer than a jackknife or paring knife.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I like the alcohol idea, and I'm getting a special pipe tool with a curved blade for reaming the bottom. Thanks for the suggestion, gents!

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Look at shucking knives, specially oyster knives since they have stouter blades than clam shucking knives. The New Haven pattern has a slightly curved/bent tip which may help accessing the cake at the base of the bowl. I like the Galvaston pattern, but will get one of each for versatility.

The Smoking Pipes knife, as suggested by @darwin, is a modified oyster shucking knife (& is currently out-of-stock).

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
The pipe tool knife is available at SP. It's just a flexible length of flexible blade with a curved end, costs about $11. Has a wood handle, nothing fancy. Ask SP about it, they'll know what you're looking for.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For a touch more, I find this type of pipe tool very useful.
pipetool.jpg

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
I reamed an estate Dr.Plumb pipe the other day that had a small bowl but only about the tip of my pinky finger could fit in am ongst the cake over load!
I was stuck for a minute as my reamers didn't fit at all.. but I used the tip of a knife to score lines down the entire sides of the cake and pick enough off and out to be able to fit the clean ream space dildo thing I use. Then touched up with the Brit butner tool thing.
Tbh I'm shocked at the disrepair of some pipes, it's genuinely a testiment to good hearted ignorance! lol poor olg bugger who had it must have had to load it about 3 times ina row to get enough smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.